Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing & retirement solutions for retail investors & investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small & medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making peoples lives better. Were headquartered in NYC, & offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) & select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
As our Senior Director of HR & Workplace Experience, you will be responsible for setting, enforcing, & evaluating HR policies, procedures, & best practices, & identifying & implementing long-term strategic talent management plans. We are looking for a leader who is both strategic & hands-on to define & execute the HR strategy. You will further build out the HR function for efficiency & effectiveness to accelerate Betterments business by enabling people & teams to do their best work. Reporting to the Chief People Officer, you will champion our values & develop, launch, & embed programs to support all employees to deliver on their ambitious goals across our NYC based & distributed populations. You'll identify gaps in current practices & develop high impact programs & interventions, whilst adopting an employee-centric approach when addressing key moments that matter to employees through the employee lifecycle.
Your goal is to act as a thought partner to our Leadership Team & People Team Leadership ensuring the employee engagement strategy aligns with the business priorities & focus areas.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, & performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterments total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $ $210,000-$220,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental & vision benefits, & a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Build highly scalable processes through the employee lifecycle, including overseeing & leading the bi-annual performance review process, the annual engagement survey & action planning process while achieving ambitious engagement goals, & monitor progress & changes to keep senior leadership team informed of organizational health
- Identify key performance indicators for the human resources & workplace experience function & assess organizations success & market competitiveness based on these metrics
- Enable Betterments employer value proposition & create actionable steps to position us as a top employer through people-centric best practices & promote employee engagement
- Provide both strategic & functional expertise, thought leadership & coaching as an active member of the People Leadership Team
- Leverage people data & analytics to ensure data-driven decision-making, incorporating feedback from engagement surveys, 1:1s, exit interviews, etc., creating effective people programs
- Develop an innovative & inclusive employee experience strategy for a scaling organization, enabling a thoughtful practice to meet department needs
- Identify risks & opportunities through the lens of the People community & make appropriate recommendations as to further the growth of the company
What were looking for
- Demonstrated success translating the vision, purpose, & strategy of the business to design & implement a relevant & meaningful employee life cycle
- Experience building employee engagement in a distributed workforce across offices, as well as fully remote employees, having extensive experience in people development, coaching, & mentoring
- Ability to use People reporting & analytics in generating insights & presenting findings back to the business, as well as tracking & disseminating key data
- Demonstrated success in furthering company DEIB strategy & implementing initiatives that have resulted in measurable impact on employee engagement & retention
- Experience building successful people programs & initiatives, consensus, & comfortable having both strategic & tactical responsibilities
- Substantial knowledge of progressive HRBP leadership experience and employment laws & regulations
- Experience building strong, effective & trusted relationships & networks, ability to influence & articulate a variety of issues to different audiences, tailoring messages accordingly, as well as with incident management & emergency/crisis response teams & efforts
- Strong planning & project management skills centralized around employee development, stakeholder management, business acumen, & partnership; experience with forecasting, adhering to budgets & managing costs
- Expertise in anticipating issues across the organization & recognizing opportunities & proactively developing initiatives
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, & ourselvesand we wont stop until we reach them. We dont just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes & strive to uphold our supportive & inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, & vision insurance; life & AD&D insurance; STD & LTD benefits, including infertility support & World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; & generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own & lead change & affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
Well take a few weeks to review all applications. If wed like to spend more time with you, well reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, well look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, & motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability & sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, were unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, & our Recruiting Team is here to support & advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email email@example.com.
Come join us!
Were an equal opportunity employer & comply with all applicable federal, state, & local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit & do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity & status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.