ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm is hiring an experienced Senior Editor to oversee operations, strategy, & content creation for its newsletters. This is a managerial position & candidates must be comfortable with a non-traditional schedule, including working weekends. theSkimms editorial team is a collaborative group of journalists from traditional media backgrounds, & we understand how to create high quality journalism in theSkimms distinct voice. In this role, youll lead a team of writers & editors, & will work closely with Managing Editors & other editorial staff members to help produce newsletters & special projects.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Leading the production of a Skimm newsletter, which includes brainstorming, researching, writing, editing, fact-checking, & publishing
- Ideating & executing on creative new ways to deliver content & engage this newsletters audience
- Managing a team of writers & editors
- Collaborating with other content teams to create the weekly newsletter
- Assisting with other editorial products such as web articles & campaigns
- Working on special projects & long-form content
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
- A minimum of 6-8 years of traditional newsroom experience
- Experience working in a breaking news environment
- Strong journalistic judgment & robust experience with fact-checking & reporting best practices
- Experience working on tight deadlines
- Ability to self-motivate & be a team player across multiple departments
- Track record of working effectively under pressure to hit deadlines
- Experience publishing through a CMS
- Passion for theSkimm & its mission, & the ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- The ability to be a self-starter & a team player
- Bachelor's degree
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- 3+ years of management experience
- Experience in content development & strategy
- Experience with branded content
- Experience using insights to inform content development for audience growth
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, product managers, engineers, analysts, sellers, & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, theSkimm has become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way its audience consumes news & makes decisions. theSkimm's flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & the company continues to innovate, finding new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. theSkimms product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a new virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. theSkimms first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done. By continuing to grow the breadth of theSkimm offerings in the lifes necessity categories & expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content & audio, theSkimm ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation -- & the ones that follow -- in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
This is a full-time role with flexibility for remote work. While our employees are continuing to work remotely throughout the remainder of 2021, we are excited to return to HQ in New York, NY next year. Beginning in January 2022, the office will be open Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday & NY metro area employees will come together in person a minimum of 3 days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employee & they may go in as often as they'd like.
We will require vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations for any additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.
Please attach your resume & a cover letter. We're looking for voice, wit, & humor, so to the extent that you can, please write your cover letter in the style of a Daily Skimm newsletter.