Were hiring a money writer.
About our team & what well build together
This role will contribute to our mission of helping millennial women make smarter money decisions. You'll be responsible for pitching, reporting, writing, & fact-checking timely & evergreen money content for our newsletters, site, & other platforms. This position offers the opportunity to be part of a fast-growing vertical & reports to the senior editor of Skimm Money.
How youll contribute to our mission
- Translate financial jargon & break down complex financial topics, including cryptocurrency & the future of money, using theSkimms unique voice & editorial approach
- Brainstorm, write, & fact-check a consistent output of financial content, from timely explainers on how the news affects your money to evergreen guides
- Own multiple stages of the content creation process, from initial research & reporting to fact-checking & final publication
- Curate & write about the most important financial news affecting millennial women from the recent crypto crash to the state of the job market for Skimm Money newsletters
- Craft promotional packaging for content (think: email plugs, social posts, etc.)
- Work with cross-functional partners to maintain a cohesive voice & style for financial content across all Skimm platforms
- Pitch & help execute fresh ideas to bring financial content to life through email, social, video, audio, web, & events
Youre ready for this! Heres a bit more about what were looking for
- 3+ years of experience in financial writing
- Solid understanding of financial markets, investing, & personal finance
- Strong journalistic judgment with a specific eye for fact-checking standards
- Ability to create actionable content with a specific target audience in mind
- Excellent attention to detail & ability to work autonomously
- Experience in a fast-paced environment with an ability to anticipate & respond quickly to change
- Ability to self-motivate & be a team player across multiple departments
- Passionate about theSkimm's mission & ability to write in theSkimm's voice
- Specialized knowledge & reporting background in the areas of crypto, blockchain, Web3
- Experience with financial content targeting millennial women
- Experience working on newsletters
- Experience evaluating and/or reporting content performance
Why we love working here
We are mission driven & values driven:
We are collectively building an impactful brand for millennial women by helping them maneuver through lifes necessities. We are providing this community with information & resources so they have the ability, agency, & confidence to live their smartest lives. Every role has a purpose & allows us to equip & enable women to make their best decisions, feel more educated & have the right knowledge at the right time.
We are values driven at every point - how we work, the way we work & our culture come straight from our core values. Each of us supports this incredible brand & takes part in its continued growth, fulfilling the needs of our audience each & every day.
We put you & your personal lives first - we have a generous benefits policy that demonstrates we are listening to what our employees need:
- Unlimited vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- A hybrid working model with flexibility for remote work
- Comprehensive insurance plans & commuter benefits
- Auto-enrollment into a MassMutual 401(k) plan starting on your first day & employer contribution available after one year of employment
- Rewards for every work anniversary
- One month paid sabbatical after your five year anniversary as a full-time employee
We support our parents at all points on their journey:
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave (adoption, fostering & surrogacy included)
- Bereavement leave for pregnancy loss
- Phased return to work schedule availability
- Flexibility based on parental schedules
- Access to family building & fertility benefits
- Flexible & broad-scale child support program
Your well being is our priority:
- We honor Sacred Time in our workplace
- We have aligned company time off during the summer to truly allow for us all to break from our work at the same time
- We offer fitness membership reimbursement
- One Medical Membership is included with our benefits
We have a vibrant, collaborative, & supportive culture (we celebrate & have fun!):
- Weekly company updates led by our co-founders/co-CEOs
- Weekly lunch stipend for HQ employees
- Employee awards ceremonies to celebrate individual accomplishments
- Clubs & activities designed to meet other employees like book clubs, new hire buddy programs, rooftop lunches, off-sites, & wellness focused classes
- Numerous culture events that enable our workforce, in the office & remote, to connect & have fun
Your career & development are a priority:
- Annual learning & development stipend
- LEAD@theSkimm, our leadership development program
- DEI initiatives to ensure we are the best partners & colleagues to each other
- Career development guidance & planning
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Complimentary access to theSkimms suite of membership products & swag
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking, & diverse group of people building a media company that makes it easier to live smarter
Our story, Skimmd
Were a mission-driven digital media company giving millennial women the information they need to live their smartest lives.
At our core, we are writers, editors, producers, designers, marketers, engineers, analysts, sellers, creatives, & strategists all working together to achieve this goal.
Since launching in 2012, we have become a trusted source for a community of millions of Skimmrs by seamlessly integrating into their existing routines, fundamentally changing the way our audience consumes news & makes decisions. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, remains the fastest-growing newsletter on the market, & we continue to innovate, find new ways to Skimm everything from finance & careers to voting, wellness & downtime. Our product suite has expanded to include three top-rated podcasts, Skimm This'', Pop Cultured, & 9 to 5ish, theSkimm mobile app, Skimm Money & Skimm Your Life newsletters, a virtual course series called SkimmU, & Skimm Studios for innovative in-house video & audio content. Our first book, How to Skimm Your Life, was released in June 2019 & debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list.
And were not done! We continue to grow the breadth of our offerings in lifes necessary categories & by expanding our products across events, commerce, customized content, & audio, our ecosystem will become the go-to resource for this generation - & the ones that follow - in the most critical areas of their lives.
Come join us!
Learn more about us & our other opportunities here.
What about the office?
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY with flexibility for remote work.
Our office is available to use three days a week - Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday. We have a hybrid environment & ask that employees within the New York Metro area come together in person a minimum of three days per month. All other days are up to the discretion of the employees during the three days a week that the office will be open. We are continuing to closely monitor the state of COVID-19 in New York & will adjust this plan accordingly.
We will require COVID-19 vaccinations for anyone coming to our office. We are following CDC recommendations & will also require additional boosters, & will always follow CDC & NY state guidance on wearing masks in the office.