WHO ARE WE?
The Design team here at BARK is responsible for all creative work across toys & toy development. We're a diverse group of creatives coming from all sorts of backgrounds. We pride ourselves on being funny & innovative in order for us to create magical experiences for dogs & their people. We don't take ourselves too seriously, & love finding inspiration in unexpected places.
WHO WERE LOOKING FOR:
Do you love the idea of making dogs happy AND people laugh? Have you ever looked at a dog chewing on a stick & thought: I could totally improve on that sticks design, nature really phoned it in with that one? If so, we want to hear from you! Were looking for a designer interested in toys with a sense of humor, unending curiosity, & an obsession with dogs.
- Collaborate with the Design team to create fun & innovative dog toys across various mediums.
- Quickly generate ideas in 2D through sketching, rendering & digital applications.
- Participate in ideation & brainstorming sessions with diverse teams.
- Successfully present & communicate concepts to the design, merchandising & marketing teams.
- Conduct deep-dive market, trend & user research.
- Develop production-ready drawings & provide comments/feedback on samples direct from factories.
- Able to quickly understand how dogs play & behave & how people interact with them.
- 3+ years of design experience, preferably within toy design
- Proficiency in Illustrator & Photoshop required.
- No dog toy experience needed, but some experience with plush or textiles is highly preferred.
- CAD experience would be great!
- Proven ability to translate a design into three dimensions, as well as call out any necessary inner mechanisms.
- You understand how to communicate volume & character in a drawing, & have a portfolio that exhibits mastery in composition, color & silhouette.
- You have experience bringing a product from insight to design & production under your belt.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Youre funny & have funny, appealing ideas (and drawing to prove it!)
- Youre comfortable being nit-picky to make sure quality is maintained throughout the process.
- You can communicate creative notes clearly.
- You like being part of a team & dont cringe when getting creative feedback.
- Youre able to have fun & not take yourself too seriously.
- Seriously, you have to be legit funny. Our brand is funny. Dogs are funny. People when they talk to their dogs are funny. If you have a dog, record yourself talking to your pup sometime & then play it back - youll realize JUST how weird you get around them..
- Must love dogs (duh). We take cat people too, but ONLY if they think dogs rule & cats are wild aliens that have somehow conned their way into living with humans as ungrateful tenants.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in Manhattan, New York. We offer health insurance for both you & your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, & a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs & their people. Were looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (were not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs & their people through our products, events, & experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, & our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats & clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys & treats to the dogs across the world & use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives & ways to make magic between dogs & their people. Weve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.