Expanse helps IT operations & security teams discover, manage, & secure all of their global internet assets. Current Expanse customers comprise more than 10 percent of the routable internet & they use the company's platform to monitor for real-time changes to their infrastructure. Using leading-edge collection & analysis technology, Expanse improves organizations' visibility, governance, & IT operations, reducing risk associated with internet-connected assets & enabling a secure digital transformation. Founded in 2012, Expanse is headquartered in San Francisco & is now backed by more than $135M in funding.
Expanse is expanding rapidly & were looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our new, growing engineering team on the East Coast.
In this role, you will have two sets of equally important responsibilities: you will collaborate with engineering management to hire new team members & you will be a technical leader for our team, using your prior experiences to solve complex technical problems & evolve development processes. Your work will be critical to helping define & secure the perimeters of the world's most important organizations.
You will select technology stacks, collaborate with other engineers, & own end-to-end delivery of features. Your work will touch everything from upstream data pipelines, to customer-facing APIs & front-end user experiences. You will investigate & prototype new functionality built upon cutting-edge technology, then switch to implementation mode to deliver products built upon your research. You will represent your team in architecture roadmap planning sessions, interfacing regularly with other Staff Engineers, Architects, & Product Managers.
You will be a part of the interviewing & hiring process for software engineers. You will guide & mentor your team in software development, architecture development, & technology evaluation. Your industry experience will allow you to shape the growth of a productive & highly collaborative engineering team.
This role can be based in our offices in New York or Atlanta. There is occasional travel to our headquarters in San Francisco.
What Youll Do
- Be a role model & mentor for your development team; help hire the right people, coach them, & guide them in delivering features through iterative product development
- Collaborate with our Product Management team to define feature specifications for the next generation of products focused on securing the worlds largest organizations
- Take part in architecture strategy sessions; build a point of view with your team, advocate for it
- Drive projects to completion & support your work in production
- You have experience as a software engineer & tech lead for teams that built customer-facing SaaS software
- You have expert-level knowledge in Java & Spring; you are able to pick up other languages quickly (e.g. Python)
- You are comfortable with React, AngularJS, or similar modern front-end frameworks
- You are able to balance shipping new products & features with addressing technical debt & investments in architecture & infrastructure
- You have experience with agile development processes & modern software development practices
- You enjoy a variety of projects & switching between research, design, prototype, & implementation
- You have experience writing robust feature, unit, & performance test suites
- Not required: experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, Kibana, or similar is a plus but not a requirement
- Not required: experience with Docker & Kubernetes is a plus
- Not required: knowledge of AWS or GCP is a plus
- Not required: familiarity with Dataflow, Beam, Spark, or other similar concepts is a plus
- 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 60% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
- Flexible PTO + 8 company holidays
- Company sponsored parental leave
- 401k Plan
- Opportunities for professional development to attend conferences, classes, & workshops
- $75 every quarter as discretionary team building stipend
- $50 every month in cell phone reimbursement
- $65 every month for your wellness to cover costs of gyms, courses & other activities
- $300, one time, to customize your desk space
- Pre-tax commuter, HSA, & FSA benefits
- Stocked kitchen + lunch stipend
- Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, & offsites
Refer a Friend
- Send your most talented friends our way. If we hire one, you'll get $1,000 even if you're not an Expanse employee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!
Expanse is committed to creating a diverse environment & is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.