About BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News & HuffPost
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet. BuzzFeeds portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, HuffPost, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved, to name a few.
Started in 2012, BuzzFeed News is a global news organization providing original online reporting & video programming across the internets biggest platforms. BuzzFeed News mission is to report to you: to cover what you care about, break big stories that hold major institutions accountable for their actions, & expose injustices that change people's lives all while averaging over 50 million unique monthly readers.
In 2021, BuzzFeed acquired HuffPost, a leading source of news & commentary for the most diverse & connected generation ever. HuffPost believes in putting people before power & telling the stories that too often go unheard, from the voices that matter. With this acquisition, BuzzFeed reached an unrivaled scale, engagement & cultural impact.
We're looking for an experienced Director of Product Management to grow & monetize our News experiences which includes the BuzzFeed News & HuffPost websites & apps. You will have a passion for news & leading teams to launch & improve impactful products.
Youll develop a long-term strategy, but will have to balance that with the nuts & bolts of getting product work out the door. You'll be the hands-on product lead with management of two product managers, overseeing dedicated teams of engineers, designers, & data analysts on HuffPost & BuzzFeed News respectively, that are focused on creating differentiated & compelling site & app experiences.
This is a highly visible & influential role to help determine the future of our News products with a lot of potential for growth.
- You will manage the BuzzFeed News & HuffPost consumer-facing experiences which span BuzzFeedNews.com, the BuzzFeed News App, HuffPost.com, the HuffPost App, the News tab within the BuzzFeed App, & our Google AMP, Facebook Instant Articles, & Apple News pages.
- You will develop, evangelize, & execute on a strategy for driving growth, retention, & monetization across our products by working with team leads & partners throughout the entire organization.
- You will set the vision & strategy for your portfolio of products, set quarterly & annual objectives & key results (OKRs), direct & define roadmaps, prioritize the work, & communicate & coordinate the overall plans of the website & apps with partners within & outside of the product, design & engineering organization.
- You will drive alignment & decisions within the HuffPost PDE team (product management, design, engineering), across BuzzFeed Tech teams (ad tech, commerce, data science, product analytics), partners (editorial, audience development, advertising, marketing, operations, sales, legal, etc), & the executive team at BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News & HuffPost.
- You will build, mentor, & manage a team of two Product Managers with the potential (but not requirement) to also manage additional product managers. This includes helping your direct reports to deliver great results, providing & soliciting feedback, setting clear career development goals & checking in on progress against those goals.
- You will be an individual contributor & manager, running projects while also managing the work of your direct reports. This means you will be hands-on solving problems at a tactical level while also defining & setting a strategy with your counterparts.
- You will assume responsibility over & own areas of our overall product department. This includes oversight of the health & quality of our products, our processes/operations, staffing needs, growth of management skills, & recruiting.
- Experienced: You have 8+ years of product management experience, launching & managing multiple digital products, with a slant towards a consumer experience & how that drives the business.
- Committed Manager: You are committed to the growth of your direct reports & have experience managing hiring, mentoring, coaching & developing careers.
- Collaborative & communicative: You have an ability to work well & communicate with engineers, designers, & data scientists as well as business partners. Experience working with journalists is a plus. Flexibility & listening with empathy are a must for this role.
- Comfortable in the spotlight: You will need to collaborate with & help influence senior leaders across the company to advance our News portfolio & product strategy in a fairly complex problem space.
- Curious & analytical: You are proficient in data & insights. You regularly size opportunities & don't merely accept outliers in data, but investigate & dive into the numbers & research to find novel insights & new product ideas.
- User focused: You have a deep empathy for user problems & use this to identify solutions to enhance & improve their experience.
- Passion for journalism: You have a passion for journalism & believe in the mission of BuzzFeed News & HuffPost.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.