500px is the leading online network for photographers. Our mission is to connect the worlds photographers & provide them with opportunities to discover inspiration, get exposure & rewarded for their work, & help them learn & grow their skills. Every month, millions of people from around the world use our website & mobile apps to find & share the worlds most inspiring photography.
We take pride in the products we ship & love what we do. Our engineering culture values mentorship, ownership, collaboration, & getting stuff done.
Our technology stack includes: Java, Python, React, GraphQL, Go, MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, iOS (Swift), Android, & various Amazon AWS services.
***Please note that we are all currently working remotely until staff feel safe & comfortable returning to the office. Once we do, we expect to continue granting our team the flexibility of choosing to work from home or anytime from our HQ, but will confirm this once our plans are firm.
500px, the worlds premier photography community, is looking for a Quality Engineer (Contract or Temporary Full-Time) to ensure an exceptional quality standard for the 500px site & features. In this role, you will be accountable for thorough testing across all of our platforms. Youll be a critical part of our team as you help us reach our quality goals.
What you'll be doing:
- Create an end-to-end test plan; execute the plan & manage all activities in the plan to ensure that all the objectives are met & that the solution works as expected
- Continually review, evaluate, & document existing Quality Assurance processes, & dedicated or shared hardware testing environments
- Work with the CX team, customers & wider user community & capture issue-related feedback as well as areas of concern for them
- Ensure test coverage across a broad range of environments, testing all elements of the release process
- Work with scrum teams to continue to improve effectiveness & efficiency of our test automation
- Write, delegate, & utilize testing into a consolidated suite of documented tests
- Create & manage a per-release QA plan
- Proactively investigate & find potential security holes & attack vectors within both the existing & newly-developed code base
- Review historical, existing & ongoing bug reports to identify areas needing specific attention
- Liaise with Product & Engineering teams to ensure delivery of a high-quality product that is compatible with release timeline targets
- Test conformance of products to unit, regression & user interface standards
- Assist development team with issue investigation & root cause analysis
What the ideal candidate will have:
- 3 years related QA experience
- Clear communicator (written & verbal) with a demonstrated ability to write test plans & test cases & communicate bugs to developers & other stakeholders
- Creativity in solving technical problems
- Ability to focus on deadlines & deliverables
- Ability to think abstract & outside the box
- Experience with project collaboration & bug tracking tools such as JIRA
- Extensive knowledge of Windows, OS X, iOS & Android operating systems
- A solid understanding of software testing methodologies & Agile processes
- Knowledge & experience in technical aspects of software solution being tested
- Strong analytical & investigative skills, with an eye for detail
- Comfort working on your own & within a team
- Ability to demonstrate ownership & accountability through self-directed task management
Bonus points for:
- Fluent in Mandarin
- A love of photography (tell us what you shoot!)
- Being a member of the 500px community
- Interesting technical challenges
- Competitive salaries
- Flexible work hours
- Great health & dental benefits starting on day one
- HQ in downtown Toronto within walking distance of TTC & Union Station, lots of great nearby food options, & dogs are welcome
- Professional development opportunities
- Amazing coworkers from around the world (repping 20 countries & 19 languages)
- Generous time off policies for vacations, sick days, birthdays, religious observances, civil involvement, new babies or pets, emergencies, or even if you just need to recharge
- Life-friendly Zoom calls we love to see your pets & hear your kids jokes!
- Phone screen: < 30 min conversation with a hiring manager
- Coding challenge
- Team interviews: 3-5 hours on Zoom where you'll e-meet multiple members of our team
We believe diverse teams perform better, & we seek to increase our overall team diversity. We make active efforts to reduce the impact of unconscious bias in our hiring process.
500px welcomes & encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.