Vox Media employees thrive on innovation & change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, & improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology & the world around them. Vox Medias networks & businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, & the Vox Media Podcast Network.
As the Vice President, Sales Research & Insights you will be charged with finding actionable & strategic insights through data, research, expertise, & instinct. You will guide our Revenue department to have a deeper understanding of our audience & brands that will resonate broadly & across categories. Leading a small (but mighty!) team, you will provide a story back to our sales & creative teams that will strengthen our solutions for our advertising partners in a fun, fast-paced environment. You will be responsible for vetting third party research partners, & direct the development & design of research projects from that partnership. You will take inputs across myriad sources, synthesize the learnings, & translate them into a comprehensive story that will allow for quick decision making that will allow our revenue organization to achieve its goals.
An ideal candidate will have prior experience developing audience & consumer insights for marketing & revenue purposes. For you, data doesnt stop at numbers. You believe that insights can tell a story & need to be delivered in a digestible, but powerful way. You thrive in a startup environment & believe in the power of innovation & iteration.
This role is NY-based. There may be occasional travel depending on the needs of our teams, partners, & clients.
What youll do:
- Run a team of analysts to deliver research & insights that inform our go-to-market strategy & prove our company value prop & advantage
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the company to develop strategic insights into the Vox Media audience as well across all sales categories
- Create a cohesive research practice oriented around our go-to-market positioning with consistent best practices for cross department compatibility of both data & insights
- Oversee the development of data, research & insight communication that support Vox Creative & Revenue teams during the pitch process
- Analyze research results, provide deep insights, & develop presentations back to key stakeholders & executives
- Act as the main stakeholder for data-informed decisions around marketing our brands & businesses
- Work on an ad-hoc basis with the Chief Revenue Officer & Executive team on initiative-based projects as the key POC for revenue-related research needs
- Liaison with brand GMs & marketers to design & execute audience surveys & personas
- Manage & strategically allocate an annual research budget
- Provide critical industry & methodology expertise & have a strong POV on any 3rd party partnerships or vendors necessary to fulfill your obligations or remits
- Act as supervisor to bring on outside partners, including writing RFPs, negotiating, vetting methodologies & data collection methods, & maintaining the relationship
- Strategically develop & deploy quarterly thought leadership research that backs into our larger business objectives & strategy in the form of either reports, white papers, contributed articles, case studies, or other sales materials
- Stay informed of industry news, filter it, anticipate industry-wide obstacles, & deliver regular communication back to the revenue teams
- Collaborate with the Director of Revenue Enablement & Training to infuse data & insights into ongoing education
- Break down information silos & develop & adapt processes/feedback loops with internal teams
- Maintain centralized storage & archive of data & insights
What you'll have:
- 10+ years experience in audience or marketing research
- Proven experience growing, managing & mentoring a team of researchers in the digital landscape
- Expertise in qualitative & quantitative research methodologies
- Experience developing audience or consumer based research including fieldwork & survey design
- Strong POV on data integrity & validity of sources
- Fluency in 3rd party party data sources including: Google Analytics, eMarketer, Nielsen, & social tools
- Proven track record of evaluating & onboarding research partners, solutions & products from beginning to end
- Experience thriving & working within matrixed organizations
- Knowledge of & interest in Vox Media content & target demographic
- Comfortable in a high-growth, highly dynamic business environment where quick decision making is crucial
- Creative thinking; youre someone who enjoys executing an idea from start to finish
- Strong communication & interpersonal skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Bonus points for:
- Interest in the changing media landscape, pop culture, politics, & epicurean pursuits
- Sense of humor & an easy-going attitude
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.