BuzzFeed is looking for a writer / editor for a full-time position in our New York or LA office to cover trending stories for BuzzFeed.com. The ideal candidate is a conversational writer & experienced editor with proven skill in the fast-paced world of social & trending news coverage. If you're the type of person who's constantly looking on TikTok, Twitter, Reddit or LinkedIn (who knows!) for interesting stories & sending links to your friends until they beg you to stop, we'd love to hear from you! Bonus points for anyone with experience managing a small team of staff or freelancers and/or anyone with SEO experience. Residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, & Washington are encouraged to apply.
- Provide guidance for larger team on how to identify & write social news & human interest content, including defining best practices & making the final call in areas of sensitivity or uncertainty
- Identify human interest, lifestyle, & other trending stories that would be a fit for BuzzFeed.com (Some examples of what we mean here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Write in a shareable, unique, SEO-friendly way
- Edit staff writers & freelancers as needed with little oversight
- Track & analyze your posts' site traffic & other analytics & use that to inform future ideas or initiatives
- Cover events & conduct interviews as needed; working after hours & weekends as needed
- Previous experience editing & writing for a magazine or website, or exemplary blogging/writing experience
- Demonstrated experience creating timely content under time pressure
- Experience writing about & editing difficult and/or sensitive subject matter
- Experience or interest in covering a wide range of topics including music, tv, film, fashion, beauty, sports, etc.
- Experience (or comfortability) reaching out to sources & experts & conducting interviews
- Understanding of the BuzzFeed audience & voice
- Familiarity with social monitoring tools (i.e. Crowdtangle or Buzzsumo) is a plus
- Previous trending news experience also a plus
FYI just because you dont meet every requirement doesnt mean we dont want to hear from you. If you think youd be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Discuss the kinds of trending news stories that excite you, & that youd be interested in writing about for BuzzFeed, & why.
- Tell us about which social networks you use the most, & why.
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.