Hi, we're Oscar. Were hiring a Data Scientist for Utilization Prediction to join our Data team in our New York office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 & headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, & human. We need your help to do so.
About the Role:
Insurance companies sit on a trove of data that is both broad & deep, spanning financial claims, clinical medical records, & rich product interaction data from our members. Oscar's Data team connects the dots across these datasets to give us unique insight into how the healthcare system functions & allows us to improve care coordination, better manage risk, build higher-performing provider networks, & create a standout consumer experience in our product.
As a Data Scientist for Utilization Prediction, youll collaborate with actuaries, clinicians, & market leads to discover market-level trends & detect anomalous behavior. Youll develop a scalable statistical model that identifies opportunities for special projects across the business. Youll learn about our levers to manage utilization (such as case management, provider contracting, & plan design) & recommend actions that guide members towards high-quality, efficient healthcare.
You will report into a Director of Research.
- Build predictive models of medical utilization
- Deploy models towards impactful business problems
- Investigate model results & provide actionable recommendations to stakeholders
- Develop hypothesis testing frameworks that enable deeper investigations
- A bachelor's degree in a quantitative/analytical field
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a quantitative field like finance, consulting, or science.
- You have experience using data science tools like SQL & Python.
- Experience communicating complex analytical results to all kinds of audiences
- An advanced degree in a quantitative field
- Knowledge of health care, health economics, health policy, or health insurance
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we work to cultivate an environment where exceptional people can be their most authentic selves & find both belonging & support. We're on a mission to change healthcare -- an experience made whole by your unique background & perspectives.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicants disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team (email@example.com) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy: Oscar's Pay Transparency Policy ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.