Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As Chief Financial Officer (CFO), you will be reporting to our co-founder & Chief Executive Officer (CEO). You will lead all aspects of our finance function, including financial planning, accounting, potential M&A, & corporate finance, to take us to the next stage of growth. Youll provide guidance to Codecademys department heads & communicate both short-term & long-term financial plans to the Board of Directors. Along with a Finance team of four, you will promote financial & strategic leadership across our business. Your outstanding ability to bring people together will be a driving force in how we grow. Additional management experience will be useful in eventually managing teams outside the realm of finance & growing into a more well-rounded operational executive.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Lead the current finance team of 4, comprised of our FP&A & Accounting functions
- Determine both short-term & long-term business strategy based on deep foundational knowledge of our business, our competitors, & our model
- Maintain relationships & shepherd future capital raises from start to finish
- Develop robust financing structure for the company to meet near term & long term needs
- Oversee financial planning during a time of significant investments & doubling in budget & headcount
- Oversee our accounting function as our growth brings us into more complex auditing requirements & taxation & regulatory compliance internationally
- Ensure our business is reporting effectively to auditors, our Board, & internal constituencies
- Build Corporate Development capabilities for any future potential acquisitions
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- SaaS Experience: Candidates must have experience with subscription or SaaS business models in technology & a demonstrated ability to successfully model them.
- Management & Team Building: The ideal candidate has built a finance team composed of FP&A, Strategy, & Accounting. They are capable of hiring & managing a team of sufficient size & scope.
- Entrepreneurial: While candidates should have experience at scale, they should be comfortable operating as a player/coach & looking into financial models themselves as well. They should be able to dive deep.
- Strategic: Candidates should index more highly on Strategy/FP&A than on Accounting & be capable of adding value beyond just the financial strategy of the organization.
- M&A Experience: Candidates should have experience with capital raises, term sheets, structuring transactions & more. This experience can come from in-house experience, banking, or venture capital / private equity.
- Product-Oriented: Good candidates should speak to the user flow of the products they are working on & be able to articulate how the Finance team can help to drive strategy.
- Operational: The ideal candidate has experience with developing the right operating structure to deliver on strategic initiatives, e.g. corporate structure, banking, tax implications, etc.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. We celebrate diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & work to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.