ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm marketing team is a small group of fast-moving & creative thinkers who nurture & grow theSkimm brand & members' engagement across all platforms. As the company continues to grow & advance our story, we have been diversifying our media products (podcasts, books, events, & more) & moving further into proprietary product development beyond media (software, products, & services). This is a unique community, content, & revenue driving role, all wrapped in our creative brand expression.
In this newly created Vice President role, you will be responsible for leading the team that brings our brand, events, strategic marketing partnerships and go-to-market campaigns. This role is equal parts strategic, creative, & execution oriented. You will lead the strategy, ideation, & execution of marketing campaigns at theSkimm always through the lens of our high brand standards. It requires someone who can leverage insights on our Skimmrs, products & market trends to build an innovative approach to messaging, campaign ideas, & tactics targeting Skimmrs at key moments in their user journey. Above all, you are creative & can lead concepting & creative reviews.
You will be critical to the success of the business long term & will be a player-coach leading a nimble team in collaboration with our broader team, which includes: growth, audience development, performance marketing, social media, & insights. This role will run an integrated approach, in partnership with leaders across the company, to drive key moments in the year, which ladder up to the greater brand vision & business goals. This role will report into the Head of Brand Marketing & Communications & will have two direct reports, the Senior Manager of Brand & Events, & the Senior Manager of Brand Campaigns & Partnerships.
WHAT YOULL BE DOING
- Create programs that drive brand awareness, engagement & increase brand trust, in addition to supporting theSkimms growth & revenue goals
- Manage the brand & marketing strategy, messaging, & go-to-market planning
- Lead the evolution of our event & tentpole strategy & implementation
- Lead marketing for media, event, campaign & new product launches (inclusive of positioning, messaging, value propositions)
- Support the development of our strategic marketing partnerships strategy
- Manage a team of smart, passionate marketers that includes brand, campaigns, partnerships & events
- Over see two direct reports, including the Senior Manager of Brand & Events, & the Senior Manager of Brand Campaigns & Partnerships
- Refine & drive processes, tools, goal-setting & reporting
- Manage the team executing go-to-market campaigns for new initiatives, on-going campaigns, events & strategic marketing partnerships
- Own stakeholder alignment around brand campaigns, project briefing, planning, budgeting, cross functional communication, & execution
- Success metrics will tie to quarterly & annual priorities aligned with: key brand metrics (awareness, relevance, favorability), growth, loyalty, & revenue
WHAT WERE LOOKING FOR
Were looking for a passionate, creative & strategic leader with a track-record of building brands & communities through storytelling. You will have a deep understanding of how brand & digital marketing intersect to drive growth in fast-moving environments & will be someone who builds strong partnerships across the industry & serves as an enabling force within the organization. You will demonstrate a bias toward action & be ready to roll up your sleeves to get the work done. You will have the flexibility & creativity of mindset to try different marketing approaches but can also pull from a track record of prior success.
- 10+ years of brand / consumer marketing experience
- 4 years as a manager
- Experience building innovative brands & go to market campaigns
- Capacity to balance short-term needs with longer term vision
- Fluency in digital marketing, including a clear understanding of building brands & communities in digital channels, social media, content, etc.
- Understanding of the interplay between brand & performance marketing & how to best leverage across channels
- Exceptional project management & presentation skills
- Experience working at hyper-growth, fast-paced organizations
- A love of theSkimms brand & respect of its audience
WHAT WE OFFER
- Comprehensive insurance plans, commuter benefits & 401(k) starting on your first day
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- Flexible vacation policy & generous holiday observances
- One Medical Membership
- Complimentary access to theSkimms growing suite of membership products
- The opportunity to be part of a values-driven, hardworking & diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than 12 million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, & take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, & we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, & on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, & more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed & empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, & more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 100 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives & we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY.