Think insurance is boring? We did too. So we built a company that takes everything you think you know about buying insurance & turns it on its head.
At Cover, want to become the largest & most customer-centric insurance company in the world.
Founded in 2016, Cover is a mobile-first insurance platform licensed in all 50 states, working with over 35 carriers. We were part of Y Combinators W16 batch & have gone on to raise $27 million across three funding rounds backed by world class investors.
Were growing fast: in the past year weve scaled the team from 30 to 100 people across our San Francisco & Toronto offices. Across our diverse & multi-skilled team were working together to deliver a service thats effortless to interact with, transparently priced & built on a sustainable & long term footing.
Were pushing hard to make our vision of insurance a reality & we want dedicated, inquisitive & collaborative people who are ready to play their part in achieving our goal.
Cover is looking for a Technical Product Manager (TPM) for its shared core technology & integration platform. The aim of this role is bringing a business outcome perspective to highly technical issues, align goals across groups, & define a clear plan for our development teams to execute against.
The mandate of this role is to own & mature the technical infrastructure on which Covers consumer-facing & adviser-facing solutions are built. This role will also own the portfolio of API integrations that allow Cover to source insurance, vehicle & financial data about our markets.
- Product Owner role for internal API service teams.
- Acting as the key conduit to business & technical users for requirements & analysis
- Building a roadmap for our core technical investments based on business impact & alignment with Engineering, Product & Executive leaders
- Broadcasting to stakeholders high level technical design specifications & strategies
- Participating in the development of implementation strategies & plans
- Organizing & documenting requirements as clear Releases, Epics, & Stories
- Partnering with QA to drive quality in delivery
- Partner with Engineering in build / buy / rent evaluations for software solutions
- 5+ years as a Product Owner, Technical Product Manager, or Program Manager using an agile methodology. Particularly interested in Scrum experience using tools like JIRA, Pivotal.
- Completion of a technical undergraduate degree, preferably Computer Science or Software Engineering
- Creative & flexible in identifying technical solutions to resolve business problems in a rapidly scaling, demanding & complex business environment
- Excellent interpersonal & relationship building skills to deliver proposals, build support & interact with team members & other departments
- Strong communication, negotiation & influencing skills to drive dialogue with business partners to understand their underlying needs & requirements while managing their expectations
- Demonstrated technical writing skills
- A strong team focus with an inherently collaborative mindset
Desired Skills & Experience
- A background as a software developer, preference would be given to candidates who have shipped APIs or services that are developer centric
- CSM, CSPO or equivalent agile certification
- Working with or managing remote engineering teams & working across a geographically distributed organization
- Product leadership in a cloud-native technology platform
- Shipping software in a CI/CD environment
- Startup & scaling experience
- Development in (or managing development in) Rails, Go, Postgres in cloud environments like Heroku, AWS
- Unlimited paid time off
- Stock Options
- Fully paid Health Insurance
- Catered lunches four times a week
- Fully stocked snack bar
- Frequent company sponsored parties & outings
We Believe in Equal Opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer & value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.