THIS IS BLUE APRON
At Blue Apron, our mission is to make incredible home cooking accessible to everyonefrom the novice cook just getting started to the experienced chef. Each week we send hundreds of thousands of customers all the pre-measured & perfectly proportioned ingredients they need to prepare delicious & healthy meals at home. We introduce our members to new ingredients, flavors, & cooking techniques with seasonally-inspired recipes that are always delicious, fun & easy to prepare. We make fresher, healthier food available at better prices by rethinking the grocery supply chain from the table all the way back to the farm.
WHOS IN THE KITCHEN
The Blue Apron Category Management Team diligently & passionately identifies, evaluates, & sources the highest quality ingredients & packaging materials included in our recipes, in order to provide our customers with an amazing cooking experience, & ultimately, a delicious meal. The ongoing development of strong partnerships with our teammates & suppliers is our core recipe for success, as we constantly seek out new, innovative solutions that will allow us to offer our customers more value in every Blue Apron meal kit they receive.
WHATS ON THE MENU
The Category Manager - Seafood will manage Blue Aprons pantry of Seafood ingredients, with the goal of providing our Culinary team with the highest quality ingredients to choose from, when creating the amazing recipes that are offered to our customers. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Category Management Meat & Seafood, & may be located in one of Blue Aprons three Fulfillment Centers (Arlington, TX / Linden, NJ / Richmond, CA) or in our company headquarters in New York, NY.
This positions primary responsibilities include:
- Serve as a central point of coordination between multiple teams (Marketing, Operations, Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Meal Experience, & Culinary), in an effort to identify unique, high-quality ingredients that offer Blue Aprons customers the best overall value & experience
- Focus on developing a portfolio of clean (free-from) sustainably sourced, third party rated ingredients, focusing on maintaining our commitment to non-GMO, HFCS-free, MSG-free ingredients
- Partner with Food Safety & Quality Assurance team to ensure all Seafood suppliers are operating in compliance with all applicable regulations & Blue Apron policies
- Ensure complete & actionable specifications exist for all Seafood ingredients & are consistently enforced & reinforced with effective supplier communication
- Development & execution of competitive sourcing strategies, with the goal of driving incremental value (defined as a function of quality, service, & financial terms) for Blue Apron
- Negotiate key business terms included in all of Blue Aprons national supply agreements for Seafood ingredients
- Accountable for the overall performance of Blue Aprons portfolio of Seafood suppliers including service (timeliness & completeness of deliveries), quality, cost, & sustainability
- Work closely with Ingredient Optimization & Fulfillment Center Operations Teams to manage inventory levels, in an effort to eliminate waste & effectively optimize cash flow
- Perform ongoing SKU rationalization management, to ensure Blue Apron operates with maximum efficiency, while also effectively fulfilling our customers demand for variety
- Complete special projects on an ad-hoc basis
NECESSARY INGREDIENTS: The successful candidate must:
- Bachelors degree in Supply Chain, Procurement, Quality Assurance, Finance, or business-related discipline
- Minimum of 3-5 years of Category Management / Procurement / Strategic Sourcing Experience
- Deep knowledge of the food service industry
- Strong organizational & project management skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple functions & projects simultaneously
- High level of business / financial acumen
- Excellent communication & presentation skills, with a demonstrated ability to effectively influence all levels of the organization
- Proficiency with Excel, PowerPoint, & Word
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees & applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state & local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms & conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation & training.