BuzzFeed is the worlds leading independent digital media & tech company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally & spreads Joy & Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform & entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, & Unsolved to name a few! These properties & their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters & more.
The Content Systems team builds the tools & services that bring BuzzFeeds content to life. Our engineering team is looking for a frontend developer to help us develop applications that creators use to make everything from lists to quizzes to long news features. This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media & who wants to work on projects with a global impact.
Youll report to a Senior Engineering Manager in Minneapolis, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time & want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. Youll work with engineering, product, design, & data science colleagues globally across time zones. We are currently working remotely, & we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return, in 2021. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York or Minneapolis office.
- Develop user-facing applications & features in our CMS that unlock & improve creating digital content at scale
- Work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, & others to understand & shape work before it becomes code & after it ships to production
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed & get an understanding of large-scale media companies architecture & operations
- 2 or more years of experience in software engineering
- An understanding that the web is for everyone & build inclusive, accessible systems
- You are a passionate & product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to & leading technical projects & working with engineers at all levels
- You value test, instrument & document your work
- You adapt quickly to change & love to ship & iterate, building on new user research, insights & data
The Content Systems team manages our proprietary CMS, a set of tools that excels at helping creators make the kind of content that sets BuzzFeed apart. Our platform encourages experimentation & expansion. Its important to us that our tools be reliable & bring some joy to the creation process. We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds & languages so if you don't already know the languages that we use, we know that youll learn.
- Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, & Backbone
- Most of our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node, depending on the context of the service.
- Monitoring & instrumentation is essential for our content systems. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, & proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, & run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion & is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options
- A generous & well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy & indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the worlds leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news & entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth & joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the worlds largest social food network; original reporting & investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing & product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; & original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film & digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.