The Research Infrastructure Cloud HPC team at PDT is a group of experts solving computing problems in the critical path of Research at PDT. We work directly with Research & Model Implementation teams & provide them with tools & compute resources to take their ideas from inception to real tradable products. We are looking for an ambitious & operationally minded software engineer to join our team as we mature & scale our cloud HPC platform from a successful strategy-specific offering to the next iteration of our firm-wide Research platform.
Why join us? PDT Partners has a stellar 25-year track record & a reputation for excellence. Our goal is to be the best quantitative investment manager in the worldmeasured by the quality of our products, not their size. PDTs very high employee-retention rate speaks for itself. Our people are intellectuallyextraordinary, & our community is close-knit, down-to-earth, & diverse.
We are a small flat team sitting at the cross-section of research, implementation, & systems infrastructure. Our team responsibilities span many areas. Belowfinda sampling of the types of work you will be expected to work on:
- Design & implementation of cloud-based HPC systems.Our projects typically involve equal parts engineering & operations for success in our fast-moving environment. You will be expected to do both for projects small & large.
- Runningour HPC plant day-to-day.Our research environment is up 24/7,andwe want to keep it that way.Everybodyon the teamcontributes to the support of our plant, which thankfully islight because of our automation & quality work.
- Implementing automation.Wewill always choose to worksmart over working hard.You will beresponsible for conception & implementation of automationfromCI/CD pipelinestoproductionmetrics & monitoringof ourcloudHPC platform.
- Capacity managementandbenchmarkoptimization.Our demand for computeisconstantand involveschallenging problemsfocused on scalingourcomputeandoptimizingit for research-criticalworkloads.
- Obsessive User Focus.All members of the team are expected to partner with researchers & engineers to deliver high-quality cloud HPC systems that are efficient & reliable. This includes leading projects to evolve it as our needs change.
- 5+ years of software engineering and/or systems programming experience
- 2+years ofexperience working with apublic cloud, AWS preferred
- Mastery of at least one programming languagebuildingproduction systems, Python preferred
- Experience with aproductionconfiguration management tool, Salt/SaltStackpreferred
- Experience with a cloud-based infrastructure-as-code tool, Terraform preferred
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Past experienceworking with or supporting researchers and/orotherdevelopersisa plus
- Knowledge ofSlurmor similarHPC schedulers & resource managersisa plus
- Bachelors degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field from a strong academic program.