Were looking for software engineers passionate about APIs & building for other developers to come join Gusto & help us extend our product, continuing our mission to create a world where work empowers a better life.
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, & team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, & New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Our mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life, & it starts right here at Gusto. Thats why were committed to building a collaborative & inclusive workplace, both physically & virtually. Learn more about our Total Rewards philosophy.
As a Full-Stack engineer, you will design & build platforms & services that are configurable & scalable. You will partner with many functions at Gusto, with the opportunity to both work on infrastructure/platform systems, as well as produce direct user-facing business impact.
Were looking for people with a background in designing & building config-driven & scalable distributed systems & data pipelines for Taxes, Payroll, & Benefits. Youre comfortable in dealing with multiple moving pieces & effectively working cross-team & cross-functional collaborations. Youre looking forward to learning new technologies, systems, & problem domains. This role is critical not only for Gusto but for the future of Payroll as a Service.
Heres what youll do day-to-day:
- Design, build, & maintain large-scale services, job pipelines & systems across Gustos engineering teams
- Work cross-functionally with many teams: Engineering, product, technical operations, Data Science, Finance, Accounting, etc.
- Work on systems critical to Gusto's future operation, with impact over millions of dollars of payments volume.
- Deeply understand the plumbing of modern payroll & financial technology.
- Debug production issues across services & multiple levels of the stack
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, & processes
Heres what we're looking for:
- Have delivered production systems of big scale & have experience of maintenance
- Have +4-years experience working with distributed teams & 3rd party technologies
- Write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, & React. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders & subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
Youre not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers needs & build amazing user experiences.
At Gusto, we strive to provide rewards that empower employees to achieve their financial & personal goals. We offer competitive compensation packages with a strong emphasis on equity based compensation (ownership in Gusto). To learn more about Gustos compensation philosophy & benefits offerings please view our Total Rewards Approach page.
Our cash compensation range for this role is $120,000/yr to $219,000/yr in Denver & most remote locations, & $155,000/yr to $178,000/yr in San Francisco & New York. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience & expertise, & may vary from the amounts listed above.
Our customers come from all walks of life & so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values & our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.
Gusto is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Gusto considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state & local law. Gusto is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities & disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.