BuzzFeed (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture & commerce, our brands drive conversation & inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, & obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news & entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, & creative; & inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders & creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks & HuffPost to come.
HuffPost is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed
As part of our esteemed news organization, HuffPost is a leading source of award-winning news & commentary for the most diverse & connected generation ever with reporting spanning across politics, lifestyle, entertainment & more. HuffPost believes in putting people before power & telling the stories that too often go unheard, from the voices that matter.
Complex Networks is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed
Complex Networks is a global youth entertainment network spanning major pop culture categories including streetwear & style, food, music, sneakers & sports. Complex Networks is diversified around three pillars: advertising, e-commerce, & content where it creates & distributes original programming for Gen Z & Millennial audiences through premium distributors such as Netflix, Hulu, Turner, Corus, Facebook, Snap, YouTube, Roku & more. Additionally, Complex Networks generates revenue through a number of core business lines, including branded content & advertising, licensing, events, e-commerce, & agency consulting services.
BuzzFeed's Legal & Business Affairs Department is looking for a Senior Vice President of Securities, Corporate & Governance, to advise the executive team on corporate strategy, SEC requirements & corporate governance. This role will advise investor relations, corporate communications, & corporate financial reporting functions on disclosure & securities matters, & review press releases, investor presentations & management presentations, including the review of all earnings releases & related scripts. The SVP will report directly to BuzzFeeds Chief Legal Officer, & will supervise one attorney & a Legal Operations & Administration team member.
- Provide counsel to BuzzFeeds leadership team to drive strategic business & legal initiatives across all aspects of our growing business including finance & corporate development.
- Advise executive team on legal strategy, SEC requirements & corporate governance.
- Prepare, review & manage SEC filings, including periodic & annual report, proxy materials & Section 16 filings, & stock exchange compliance
- Support the corporate secretary function - draft corporate governance materials, including resolutions, minutes, & other materials for meetings of the board & its committees.
- Provide legal oversight of quarterly earnings & investor relations related disclosures
- Advise investor relations, corporate communications, & corporate financial reporting functions on disclosure & securities matters. Prepare & review press releases, investor presentations & management presentations, including the review of all earnings releases & related scripts.
- Assist with all equity & debt financings & provide legal support to the treasury function.
- Support the drafting & negotiation of M&A transaction agreements & manage all legal aspects of acquisition or disposition transactions.
- Collaborate with the legal team on the design & implementation of policies, procedures & controls required for corporate legal compliance, including corporate governance programs
- 15+ years of experience in US Securities (both SEC reporting & transactions) & M&A; corporate law experience within a top nationally recognized law firm required. In-house experience at a fast-paced company preferred.
- BA/BS & JD required; Active membership in good standing of the bar of any U.S. jurisdiction
- Deep knowledge of & extensive experience in corporate governance best practices for public companies, Securities Act, Exchange Act & Nasdaq listing requirements.
- Experience with the Delaware General Corporation Law
- Experience with corporate governance, entity formation, & equity issuances under stock incentive plans. Familiarity with executive compensation matters encompassed in proxy statement disclosure
- Exceptional verbal & written communication skills with ability to explain complex legal concepts concisely & effectively to non-lawyers
- Proactive self-starter; bias for action
- Highly organized with superior time management skills & ability to manage competing priorities often under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated thought leader with strong organizational skills & business judgment with ability to build & maintain strong cross functional working relationships
The rare opportunity to work with sharp, motivated teammates solving some of the most unique challenges & changing the world
Compensation & Benefits:
- This position will be eligible for a competitive year end performance bonus & equity package
- Full medical, dental, vision package to fit your needs
- Flexible vacation policy; work hard & take time when you need it
- Retirement plan with company match (401K)
Life at BuzzFeed
We celebrate inclusion & are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, & will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal & professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, & more
- An attractive & equitable compensation package, including salary & stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym & wellness discounts, & much more.
We want all employees to feel safe & comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health & safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) & open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, & WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, & VT.