Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a Product Technical Program Manager (TPM) at Planet, your role is highly visible & cross functional. You will lead complex, multi-disciplinary projects using your engineering, product & program expertise. You will develop & manage end to end program plans & support requirement reviews with internal customers & usher projects through the development cycle. This includes establishing & managing internal processes, project schedules, metrics, KPIs, identifying risks, & clearly communicating them to project stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your team's analyses & recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
Promote collaboration across multi-disciplinary teams including Planets Engineering, Product Management, Product Marketing, Business Development, Sales - Customer Success (pre & post), & Operations for product planning to launches. You will be expected to support roadmap or planning activities as needed within the Product Management & Engineering teams.
Impact Youll Own:
- Lead release planning activities for projects assigned & effectively track program release progress
- Partner with key program stakeholders (Product Managers, Product Marketing & Engineering teams, Customer Success, etc) to scope & execute across various technical projects
- Communicate vertically & horizontally across Planet to keep stakeholders informed of technical progress, priorities, risks, & any changes to requirements or plans
- Conduct effective meetings & maintain minutes/notes & follow up on action items
- Drive on-going process improvements across engineering teams & cross-functional stakeholders to ensure productivity & progress on multiple projects
- As a part of an agile, interdisciplinary team, you will work closely with engineering teams, product managers, designers, QA Engineers & front & backend developers to create user-centered products
- You will contribute to & improve architecture, development processes & system design changes work back with the team
- As a part of the on-call duty rotation team, you will help maintain a high level of quality & service for our customers
What You Bring:
- 6+ years of Software Development, Enterprise Architecture, Technical Program & Product Management experience.
- Bachelor's or master's Degree in computer science, engineering, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to Influence without authority (principles of a servant leader) & working with multiple roles across the organizations
- Proven experience in managing / leading cross-functional projects with stakeholders across a company.
- Proven experience with scrum framework across multiple teams & projects with a deep understanding of Agile & Lean principles
- Proven ability to facilitate technical discussions with a team. Promoting healthy debate, encouraging & supporting every member of the team to have a voice. If technical disagreements arise, facilitate the discussion towards a solution but always drive & own the final decision.
- Solid grasp of the business side of technology with an understanding & enthusiasm for metrics & analysis to deliver on business objectives
- Strong grasp of agile development methods & software engineering fundamentals
- Experience with Python, Github & DevOps Platform, Jenkins, PostGIS
- Solid background with Data Studio, SignalFX, & Kibana
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, & creative thinking skills
- Must be positive & energetic, creative, & self-motivated
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nations with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse & inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within & outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups that provide safe & empowering spaces for connection & mentorship
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Health programs & flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment & wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Additional contributions to Company Pension schemes
- Enjoy unique offers & discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.