Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
Foursquares flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact & drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest & real-world behavior patterns (Places & Visits), & tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification & visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Team
Foursquares Visits team is responsible for inferring the real-world behaviors of millions of consumers every day. We write software & manage systems for performing geospatial analysis at scale & provide our inferences on time to internal & external customers. Foursquares Visits power location solutions for some of the worlds largest companies as well as Foursquares market-leading Targeting & Attribution products.
About the Role
Foursquares Visits team is interested in hiring an experienced data engineer to work on backend infrastructure & manage data pipelines. The engineer who fills this role will support & improve our data ingestion practices as well as internal pipeline architecture. In this role, you will be a key player at the foundation of Foursquares business, & in a position to make an outsized impact on the direction & success of Foursquare.
Responsibilities of the Role
- Design & write software in our data ecosystem, perform code review for teammates
- Work closely with our data scientists to support their analyses & help them bring their insights & improvements to production
- Recommend & implement improvements to our data model & design architecture.
- Implement & maintain best practices for alerting (ie. PagerDuty) in regards to client/data issues.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Communicate technical concepts with clarity to non-technical stakeholders
- 4+ years of experience working as a data engineer
- Professional experience with Hadoop MapReduce or Spark
- Strong coding skills in Scala, Python, and/or Java
- A demonstrated track record of developing & managing big data pipelines
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience working with data orchestration services (ie. Airflow, Luigi)
- Experience working with Docker & Kubernetes
- Experience with geospatial data
Perks & benefits
- Learning & development programs from individual contributors to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.