KATERRA exists to help transform construction through technology - every process & every product.
We provide end-to-end building services, creating new efficiencies between design, engineering, construction, project management, & more. Our integrated teams apply the principles of technology & manufacturing to the building industry, bringing fresh minds & innovative approaches to remove unnecessary time & costs from construction projects.
At KATERRA, we lead from every seat. Our ideal team members are self-starters that embrace ambiguity, think big, & bring their own uncompromising standards of excellence.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Katerra is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to contribute to the engineering of building design, manufacturing & construction in compliance with applicable building codes. A wide degree of creativity, initiative & latitude is expected. This role requires a PE accreditation & signing/sealing of project documents is also required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leading design as engineer of record
- Lead by example to help to set a standard of engineering excellence
- Both Lead & Work as member of team to develop HVAC Designs for buildings from Concept through Construction Administration
- Perform engineering calculations & performance simulations including sizing, selecting, & specifying HVAC system components
- Ensure designs are compliant with the companies principles of design for manufacturing, assembly, & systems integration
- Perform factory & site inspections
- Prepare reports, technical memorandums, recommendations, & cost estimates
- Contribute to Leadership of a team of engineers in a collaborative environment
- Plan & develop resource plans, set tasks & check for completeness & quality
- Assist in the evolution of company standards
- Actively mentor junior engineers
Required Skills & Experience
- Education: Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering is required
- Licensure: PE is required
- 10-15 years of HVAC design experience in multi-family, residential, commercial & industrial buildings (multi-family or residential experience is essential) including both air & waterside systems
- Experience applying new technology, software, & scripting to improve traditional design, manufacturing, & construction processes
- Interest or experience with prototyping & developing new products or design concepts
- Familiarity with industry standard design tools (Revit MEP, AutoCAD MEP, Trane Trace, etc.)
- Detailed knowledge of IBC & UBC families of codes along with local codes, especially those in the region surrounding your place of hire
- Expertise in energy/thermal modeling
- Engagement in ASHRAE, ACEEE or other related industry organizations
- LEED AP accreditation or other demonstrated experience with sustainable design
- Experience managing projects & teams of people including:
- Demonstrated effectiveness at leading high-performing teams & developing engineering talent
- Project Resource Planning & Budget Tracking
- Task planning & allocation to a team of engineers/designers/BIM staff
- Mentoring junior engineers & checking their work
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that KATERRA does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, KATERRA will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, KATERRA explicitly reserves the right to pursue & hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of KATERRA.