GiveDirectly aims to reshape international giving - & millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the worlds poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $80B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $140B each year, much of which is spent on evidence-free interventions. We want to change that, establishing a benchmark as Vanguard did for the financial industry (i.e. index fund), & in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty.
GiveDirectly has raised over $200M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 100,000 families, & has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The Guardian writes, GiveDirectlyhas sent shockwaves through the charity sector, while the New York Times Magazine adds, the beautiful thing about GiveDirectlys approach is that it lets people devise their own path out of poverty. The growing movement toward cash transfers & GiveDirectlys leading role in the movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, & The Economist.
Were looking for exceptional talent to help grow GiveDirectly & the broader movement. Our culture is honest, direct, analytical, non-hierarchical, fast-paced, transparent, & hard working. We are open to candidates from any industry & typically recruit from top schools/firms & offer competitive salary & benefits.
The finance team is seeking a dynamic Senior Finance Manager to contribute to our rapidly growing organization. As a member of finance, you know your accounting principles & the full accounting process end to end. You will own & developcriticalcontrols & processes,executeskillfulaccounting, & provide financial analysis & planning, & be a partner to cross-functional teams to help GiveDirectly achieve excellence in financial management. Not only will you have a track record in astute financial planning & analysis, but also the ability to continuously ensure that GiveDirectly has the best financial processes, controls, & systems.We're looking for someone with an endless drive for improvement, an ability to deliver high-quality accounting on tight deadlines, & the flexibility to adapt to quickly changing needs while being highly detail-oriented. We are a lean team, so your impact will be felt immediately. If this all sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What youll be doing:
- Have significant leadership & responsibility related to all aspects of monthly close activities, such as managing key balance sheet & P&L accounts, conducting reconciliations & resolving issues, & executing bookkeeping journal entries on a timely basis.
- Lead financial reporting & budget to actual variance analyses for senior management & other stakeholders. Help drive annual planning & budgeting process.
- Lead GiveDirectly's annual financial & US federal programmatic audits & production of year-end financial statements.
- Ensure timely & efficient tax reporting & compliance with other tax & statutory requirements, such as the Form 990 & state registrations.
- Lead the weekly payables process & proactively coordinate with vendors & GD team to ensure accurate & timely pay cycle.
- Maintain, scale up, & implement financial processes, policies, & controls, working cross functionally with teams such as Field & Fundraising. Identify areas for improvements & maintain documentation, while providing technical & systems assistance & oversight.
What you should have:
- Bachelors degree in finance, accounting, business, or equivalent practical experience
- Qualified CPA or equivalent.
- 4-6 years of professional experience in accounting or finance, preferably in a Big 4 accounting firm or startup or nonprofit environment.
- Experience in financial analyses & understanding of GAAP & accounting principles & best practices, preferably experience with running audits of similar sized nonprofit.
- Strong technical skills in Excel & financial & accounting software (e.g. Intacct, QuickBooks).
- A preference for a fast-paced, start-up work environment.
- A willingness to give & receive direct, honest feedback.
- Ability to meet deadlines & handle heavy workload with minimal supervision, self-starter with keen eye to detail & desire to continuously improve.
- Collaborative working style, & ability to work with vendors & international teams.