At Poppin, we believe that everyone, everywhere deserves to work happy.
We provide companies the foundation for creating inspirational workspaces through a unique offering of furniture, office supplies, & branded merchandise. Weve put a modern spin on a 100 year-old industry thats been slow to adapt to todays modern consumer. By simplifying the process, providing transparent pricing & discounts, & making our products available on demand, Poppin is able to offer a service unlike any other in the marketplace.
Poppin is looking for a Furniture Development Engineer to join its Product Design Team overseeing the technical development & performance of product concepts. Working closely with our product designers in New York to provide creative & innovative solutions to manufacturing, the ideal candidate values & respects design intent, is motivated by the opportunity to apply creative solutions to any problem, is an expert at material sciences, & manufacturing processes, & thrives at turning innovation into reality. The position will report to Poppins Director of Engineering & work cross-departmentally with our merchants, logistics & overseas offices & suppliers.
- Work day to day with the Product Design Team to make concepts feasible for manufacture.
- Lead technical aspects of product development for our expanding furniture lines.
- Ensure all products meet design requirements as stated under the corresponding BIFMA, ISTA, ASTM, CA 65, CARB, UL, Seismic, Building Code, and/or otherwise prescribed testing protocols including outdoor furniture.
- Develop & refine continued protocols for specification.
- Interface with our overseas sourcing teams to coordinate factory specifications.
- Interface with interdisciplinary teams to manage schedules, deadlines, sample reviews, & presentations.
- Mock-up proof of concept deliverables utilizing traditional & rapid prototyping equipment.
- Support PM / Sales / Marketing teams with assembly troubleshooting & training.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering with strong mechanical aptitude.
- 5+ years exemplary experience within a furniture-centric product design environment.
- Expert in Solidworks, with ability to create complex surfacing & organic forms + FEA analysis & experience with documentation best practices.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite for the purpose of presenting visually.
- Superb knowledge of manufacturing processes including: injection molding, sheet metal, die casting, extrusions, machining, solid wood & panel assembly, upholstery, & part design.
- Experience with BIFMA, ISTA, IAQ, UL standards is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience with mechanisms, closures, kinetic assemblies, & part dynamics.
- Ease of communicating ideas to international suppliers.
- Ability to qualitatively analyze problems & synthesize solutions.
- Excellent shop skills with ability to quickly breadboard & utilize rapid prototyping equipment.
- Expert knowledge of specifying dimensional tolerance materials & finish.
- Accurate design control through organized documentation & modification.
- Ability to correspond after hours with our overseas sourcing team.
Successful Poppin team members step up to the plate & work to get smarter every single day. Our startup ethos requires an all-hands-on-deck attitude (or, as we call it, work scrappy), taking on any & all changes with excitement & a great attitude.
We believe that working happy starts with embracing differences & that self-expression shouldnt end at the office. To that end, every Poppin employee is encouraged to be themselves & create fun every day. While we align our company goals on the changing needs of our employees, business, & larger communities, we remain consistently committed to creating an environment rooted in diversity, equity, & inclusion for all Poppin employees, partners, & customers.
Poppin believes in building an organization whose staff reflects the true diversity of our community. We are committed to hiring, promoting, & rewarding our employees on the basis of professional performance & results. Poppin provides equal employment opportunities to all employees & applicants in all company facilities without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, partnership status, ancestry, disability, or veteran status.