*This position is located in Kennesaw. Hours are Monday-Friday 8am-5pm*
The Health Coach is responsible for a panel of patients and, in collaboration with other members of an integrated primary care team, helps patients meet their preventive, chronic & acute care needs. Health Coaches engage patients & encourage them to take an active role in their health by providing them with the tools necessary to make healthy lifestyle choices & adopt lifelong healthy behaviors.
The Health Coachs primary responsibilities center around establishing trusting, supportive, collaborative relationships with patients & their families. Health Coaches build relationships with patients in a clinical setting, working alongside medical providers, other health coaches & a behavioral health specialist in a collaborative, empathetic team.
Reporting to the Care Team Manager, Health Coaches take on specific clinical, coaching, & operational responsibilities:
- Actively engage a panel of geriatric patients.
- Greet patients & families in reception, bring them back to rooms, establish an agenda, & work with the patient to ensure a pragmatic care plan is established.
- Capture relevant information about the patients health & healthcare experience, take vitals, administer point-of-care testing, & perform standard age & condition-appropriate screening assessments
- Take responsibility (in partnership with providers) for the health of a population of patients & monitor & track whether those patients are up to date on preventive measures
- Learn about the chronic health conditions that span the patient population
- Provide patient education on chronic disease management
- Provide anticipatory preventive guidance to families with children
- Establish healing relationships with members & families
- Learn to employ confidence-promoting techniques in patient communication & develop patient self-efficacy to better manage health
- Communicate with patients by phone & email & invite in the physician when necessary.
- Help patients understand their chronic conditions, why they matter, & how they can manage them
- Assist families & children in developing sustainable behaviors for wellness & prevention
- Coach patients using an action-planning model based on motivational interviewing techniques
- Collaborate with other team members to facilitate group events & classes for patients
- Assist with the coordination of care across the continuum, such as: scheduling appointments with specialists, coordinating referrals, & sharing or transferring information with the patients internal & external care team
- Participate broadly in the daily operations of a primary care practice, such as: Answering incoming phone calls, assisting with front desk inquiries, & ensuring general upkeep of the clinical space
- Learn core insurance benefits to facilitate care navigation
- Present on areas of interest/expertise in health & wellness to team members & patients
- Contribute to open team forums on problems & process improvements by listening, sharing input & ideas, & enacting decisions & plans.
- Experience in a service environment
- Able to articulate Iora values in relation to service & performance
- Interpersonal communication skills with exceptional listening abilities
- Compassionate, kind, & open-minded
- Teamwork experience
- Written communication skills
- Excited about joining a young organization transitioning from its start up phase to one with more structured processes
- Some clinical experience is a plus, such as EMT, MA, CNA, or Phlebotomy certification
About Iora Health
Iora Health is transforming health care, starting with primary care. We created a high-impact relationship based care model, that particularly benefits adults on Medicare & those who might need more attention. Our care model changes everything - the team, outcome-focused payment, customer service, & the technology that supports our care.
We know that when you invest in relationships with people, you can help them live happier & healthier. Our patients get a team that respects & listens to them. We get paid to keep our patients healthier, & it works - we are successfully improving the lives of our patients while lowering costs.