As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations & influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, & print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives & entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential & respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street & Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, & Vox Media Studios produces & distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform & Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators & marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, & one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What's Vox Creative?
Vox Creative is Vox Medias center of strategic & creative excellence. Were a team of strategists, writers, designers, directors, & makers who tell powerful stories for brands. In a digital landscape consumed by clicks & low calorie content, we help brands go deeper. Using the same insights, tools & storytelling expertise that power our editorial brands, we create memorable, deeply engaging & award-winning content & experiences for our clients. Vox Creative houses a number of specialty teams & services including The Explainer Studio (helping brands demystify the most fascinating & complex topics of our time), Epic Stories (investigative journalism for brands), & IQ (helping brands achieve a net-positive impact on the world).
Vox Creative was awarded Digiday's Content Studio of the Year & Best Content Program awards in 2019.
We are seeking a high functioning, results-driven individual to lead all branded content production as Vox Creatives Head of Production. This person must demonstrate an ability to grow & scale a teams capabilities while overseeing a sizable budget, ensuring best in class creative output & leading a team with conviction & compassion. The ideal candidate has 10-12 years experience (including several as a people manager), a background in managing a roster of partners/vendors & collaborating with clients, & a track record for scaling high-quality video production.
This is a perfect fit for an individual who is entrepreneurial, ambitious, passionate, & thrives on the growth & changes that come with leading a fast-growing content studio in a fast-paced media environment. Vox Creative produces hundreds of pieces of content per year for nearly 100 clients, ranging from the social & snackable to the immersive & long-form. Our content is distributed across multiple platforms & all thirteen of Vox Medias networks. With that in mind, this role demands curiosity, flexibility, & in-depth knowledge of new & emerging media platforms.
This position reports into the SVP of Content & will oversee a team of roughly ten people spanning pre-production, production, post-production & audience development.
What youll do:
- The Head of Production is a key leadership role & integral to the success of the studio. This role has oversight & accountability for all creative output.
- Work cross-functionally with finance, sales, strategy, legal, analytics, product, experiential, production & post teams to see through the full life cycle of campaigns
- Provide visibility into industry trends & the digital content landscape to ensure our capabilities & the work are competitive & best-in-class
- Build & evolve systems for efficient content production at scale
- Manage the annual production budget for all custom content production. Allocate budgets per project in line with company guidelines in a way that balances profitability, quality, & value to the client
- Help shape the budgeting & fiscal policies of the content practice to ensure were investing to grow in the right areas
- Share accountability with SVP & other team leads for building a dynamic, curious, diverse & thriving creative culture
- Inform the positioning & GTM strategy of Vox Creatives capabilities & production services such that we continue to drive demand & growth for our most differentiated offerings
- Partner with Vox Creative leadership to identify repeatable formats & franchises that can scale into new, popular content product lines & services
- Build capabilities & best practices that can help fuel growing businesses like branded entertainment & audio / podcasts
- Partner closely with Editorial & Vox Media Studios teams to exchange goals & best practices
- Develop partnerships with leading production companies, talent agencies & vendors
- Manage a team comprised of Line Producers & Production Managers across video, editorial & audio platforms; closely advise all Creative Producers; support team performance & career growth
- Allocate budgets per project & ensure all stay on time & on schedule
- Partner with the Strategy & Creative teams to ensure viability of creative proposals & provide recommendations for creative optimization, talent, treatment, technique, etc.
- Partner with Executive Creative Director to ensure creative vision is being met & executed at the highest level of quality within the scoped budget & timeline
- Improve & maintain centralized resources to support physical production: database of freelancers, crew, production vendors, directors, talent, etc.
- Attend client presentations & shoots as needed; be a voice of authority & partnership when collaborating with clients
- Operationalize a freelancer payroll system
- Manage a Post Supervisor & team of in-house editors, designers & animators
- Plan & advocate for resources, infrastructure, & space as needed
- Work with the Media, Production & Tech teams to consistently optimitize post-production infrastructure
What you'll bring:
- Minimum 8-10 years experience at media companies, production companies and/or creative advertising agencies
- Excellent partnership skills, experience working with brands in some capacity
- Experience managing large budgets & making strategic investment decisions
- Ability to balance big-picture vision with day-to-day project management
- A love of the craft & a willingness to get deep into the work
- A portfolio of film and/or digital video complete with a range of storytelling formats
- Ability to thrive in a very fun, inclusive, balanced but incredibly fast-paced environment, juggling multiple, diverse projects on overlapping deadlines concurrently
- Proven track record of digital production experience that involves overseeing multiple multi-platform programs
- Demonstrated experience running a broad range of campaigns, from turnkey formats to large-scale productions & activations for global brands
- Experience scoping projects, as well as composing production models, schedules, staffing, & budgets
- A natural ability to motivate & guide internal teams, while remaining confident & calm
- Must wear many hats & is a whole-brain thinker as the work spans pre-sale content vetting & pricing, through full execution of campaigns in a timely & cost-efficient manner
- Proven leadership skills & experience building diverse, high-performing teams of passionate, engaged makers
- Familiarity with Vox Media & the digital media landscape
- Experience in docu-style film and/or podcasting preferred
- Familiarity with technical applications & media asset management systems
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.