Were looking for a TV, movie, & celebrity-obsessed Assistant Editor to join POPSUGAR, within Group Nine Media! As a member of the Editorial team, youll work Saturday through Wednesday, covering daytime hours on weekends & afternoon/evening hours on weekdays. If your free time is spent streaming countless hours of Netflix while tweeting updates to all your followers, your award season predictions are always spot on, you have a knack for writing shareable headlines & witty ledes, and you care about telling diverse stories, we want to talk to you! This position can be based in our NY, SF, or LA offices & will report to the Sr. Editor, POPSUGAR Celebrity & Entertainment.
The Assistant Editor will lead by example in demonstrating Group Nines values - Care Deeply, Be Brave, Go First, Do Good, Stay Close & Win Together.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Research, write, & produce multiple posts each day for our Celebrity & Entertainment vertical
- Create seasonal & themed features based on team & network brainstorms
- Work closely with other team members on daily coverage & weekly/monthly editorial themes & planning
- Conduct original reporting & interviewing to produce in-depth features as needed
- Create content during special events, including award shows, premieres, & finales, working quickly & cleanly in real time
- Consider analytics & previous successes to pitch strategic, winning story ideas
- Follow a wide range of trending celebrity & entertainment topics to identify opportunities to spotlight multicultural stories & talent
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Exercising sound judgment on weekend coverage, resulting in content that drives traffic & engagement
- Working well autonomously on the weekends, & collaboratively with the team during the week
- Bringing new, intersectional perspectives & passions to PS with original, impactful content
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in digital media, writing/editing, or a related field
- A healthy obsession with social media
- Super strong writing & communication skills
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- The ability to stay ahead of trends & adapt to new & changing tasks & priorities on an hourly, daily, weekly, & monthly basis
- A proven interest in & dedication to covering broad viewpoints, cultures, & experiences
- A familiarity with & passion for the POPSUGAR brand
- HTML & Photoshop skills are a plus
- Must be willing & able to work weekend & evening hours
Why Work at Group Nine
We are committed to diversity, equity & inclusion. As part of our larger DE&I strategy, every employee goes through a series of DE&I training. We have incredible Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), with the support of our Head of DE&I & executive sponsors, that host everything from weekly safe space chats to community events.
We have amazing people. We can promise youll work alongside some of the smartest & most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. Bottom line: we care about each other & we take our values seriously.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental & vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Weve partnered with best-in-class virtual care providers to bring health care, mental health support & meditation to all employees. Additionally, knowing that time away from work is integral to employee well-being, our time off allowances (consisting of vacation, sick, company holidays, volunteer & religious observances), ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation & a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. Youll need to be great to get hired here & we promise youll get even better once youre here.
POPSUGAR is the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. according to Comscore [Comscore, February 2020]. The company reaches young women through its positive & purpose-driven content across multiple platforms, spanning entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, parenting, & more. POPSUGAR reaches 1 in 2 Millennial women in the United States & leads all womens lifestyle publishers in user engagement [Comscore & Platform Analytics, 2019]. In November 2019, POPSUGAR joined Group Nine Media, the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S., & home to The Dodo, NowThis, Thrillist & Seeker [Nielsen DCR, June 2020].
About Group Nine:
Group Nine has the most optimistic, fast moving, deeply connected brands in the categories that matter NOW. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, June 2020], Group Nines brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 80% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen DCR, June 2020]. Audiences spend over 90 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands [platform analytics, August 2020] - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched news & politics brand globally on social [Tubular Labs, May 2020]; The Dodo, the #1 media brand for reach on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, November 2019]; POPSUGAR, the #1 most engaged-with Womens Lifestyle site in the U.S. [Comscore, February 2020]; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; & Seeker, the no. 1 science brand on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, April 2020]. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lions, Critics Choice, among others.