At Lyft, our mission is to improve peoples lives with the worlds best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, & diverse organization.
Passengers rely on Lyft to get to work, to go to the doctor, or to get home safely when public transit has stopped running. Drivers use Lyft for income & flexibility. Building a stable & reliable application for our passengers & drivers is a responsibility we take very seriously, & we are building out a team of Software Engineers focused on reliability, to deliver a consistent & highly reliable user experience.
If you are passionate about building large-scale data processing systems & are motivated to make an impact through a next-generation, robust, & scalable data platform - we would love to talk to you. We use data to fuel all of Lyfts decisions, so we need talented people like you to build & scale our data infrastructure to reliably deliver the timely insights that enable us to create a game-changing transportation marketplace.
Our Data team builds & supports infrastructure to ingest, curate, & serve the myriad real-time & periodic data demands of the business. If you're interested in being at the center of Lyft's efforts to deliver delightful experiences to all of our stakeholders, this might be the role for you.
You will report into an Engineering Manager.
- Design & own the roadmap & build-out of how interactive data queries are answered at Lyft
- Demonstrate customer-focused ownership of the core Presto infrastructure, taking the lead on building & scaling our infrastructure to adapt to rapid changes (almost always growth!) in the types & quantity of analysis demands from our customers
- Build large-scale, flexible, documented, & reliable distributed systems in a real-time, production environment serving billions of rides
- Operate our community-sourced tooling (including Presto, Druid, & Kubernetes) in a 24/7 environment while minimizing pager load & the need for manual intervention
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code
- Participate in code reviews to ensure code quality & distribute knowledge, including Open-Source projects
- Share your knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, & evangelizing appropriate tech & engineering best practices
- A typical successful candidate will have 7+ years of relevant professional experience, but even if you have less: apply anyway & prove us wrong!
- Experience in distributed data processing & analysis platforms; knowledge of Presto and/or Druid is especially prized
- Familiarity with the Big Data Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Parquet, etc.) is a plus
- Demonstrated skill in working at scale; completed projects with Kubernetes (k8s), Envoy, Kafka, and/or AWS are a big plus
- Understanding of distributed systems concepts & principles (consistency & availability, liveness & safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms, etc.)
- Ability to map unknown systems onto known principles in order to generate actionable insights; if you have a copy of XKCD 2217 on your wall, chances are very good that youre right for the job
The nature of work is interdisciplinary, & our teammates come from varying backgrounds e.g. (Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Infrastructure Engineer, Production Engineer). We urge you to apply even if you feel uncertain that you have the exact background.
- Great medical, dental, & vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, & foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive & diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state & local law.