Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data & technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US & we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Director of Engineering, B2B Products will play a critical role in developing products with the objective of growing CarGurus core lead generation business while also supporting the growth of digital wholesale & digital retail. This role will provide leadership to two teams of product development engineers, one focused on the Dealer Engagement Platform & Dealer Mobile App & the other focused on Real-time Performance Marketing (RPM), an ad-tech product suite. This leader will collaborate with Product Management, UX Design, Analytics, Go-to-Market, Operations, & others to refine strategy, develop OKRs, create & work against roadmap plans.
What youll do:
Leadership Principles: Were seeking an individual who embodies CarGurus Leadership Principles to build a culture where inclusiveness is a reflex, not an initiative. We envision a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potential to work every day where they dont just fit, they thrive!
- Lead yourself: Our leaders are intentional about how they show up, manage themselves, & take responsibility for their decisions & the impact they have on others.
- Create a shared purpose: Our leaders tap into motivation by aligning people around a common purpose. They connect strategy & success by focusing their teams on clear objectives & helping people understand how their individual roles contribute to our collective Mission.
- Inspire ownership & accountability: Our leaders create a shared commitment to success & therefore a mutual accountability for results. They enable & empower other but know when to roll up their sleeves & provide support. The best leaders develop more leaders.
- Communicate openly: Our leaders communicate proactively & transparently about goals, challenges, & opportunities. They listen with the intent to understand. They seek opportunities to collaborate across the business.
- Invest in growth: Our leaders embody a growth mindset. They challenge themselves & their teams to be curious & actively seek opportunities for learning & improvement, even when its uncomfortable.
- Cultivate environments of respect & trust: Our leaders care about people. They value diverse perspectives & are committed to building a culture where everyone can show up as themselves & do their best work together!
Influencing & inspiring engineers will be paramount in the success of this role. This individual will facilitate cross-team collaboration across multiple engineering groups, Product Management, UX Design, Analytics, Go-to-Market, Revenue Operations. They will use leadership expertise to drive groups with disparate prioritization interests to decisions, seeing these through to impact. They will be able to help make pragmatic decisions, balancing strategic & tactical needs. They will help Senior Leadership manage engineering risk & make sure we are making the right trade-off calls.
- Ensures teams work is aligned with departmental goals & broader company strategic & organizational initiatives with consideration of cross-team dependencies & resource requirements
- Cascades operational goals & messaging from senior leadership to team(s)
- Sets strategic direction of team(s) & innovates on existing approaches
- Promotes / provides leadership in best practices & solving complex problems
- Ensures timely & quality business & financial updates to company leadership
- Enhances team productivity through prioritization of the highest impact work & encouraging time management
- Embody culture to retain, recruit, develop successful diverse teams
- Role model & support manager best practices coaching, mentoring, recognition & development
- Be a positive, supportive, contributing team member for team & leadership peers
- Participate in company-enhancing activities outside of your specific role
Influence & Interaction:
- Engages & builds trust with teams across company & industry peers
- Role model for knowledge sharing & communication within team
- Influences direction of the larger department
- Occasionally interacts with senior leadership to influence decisions & direction
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering, five+ years managing software engineers, & prior experience managing software engineering manager(s)
- Proven track record of delivering high-quality products
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- People focused technical leader
- Excellent collaborator with demonstrated experience working in a multi-functional team including Product, Design, Analytics, & Operations
- Excellent communicator who can tailor message based on audience
- Detail oriented leader who makes data informed decisions
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women & other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat & see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning & development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks & benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, & more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted & transparent automotive marketplace, but trust & transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal & professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts & government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions & needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees & their families, our customers & visitors, & the community at large.