Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely & sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes & other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science & digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a Backend Software Engineer, you will make key contributions to the applications, tools, & workflows across the entire patient journey at Virta. For instance, you might work on:
- Creating a cross-platform experience that allows our patients to receive first-class remote care at scale
- Building a next generation healthcare platform that allows our clinical team to serve patients 24/7
- Streamlining the application process that makes applying for medical care as easy as creating a social media account
- Providing data & insights to employers & health plans that show the efficacy of the Virta Treatment using aggregate patient data in a safe, secure, & respectful way
You will have an opportunity to focus & influence direction across all levels of our stack to meet the rapidly changing needs of a growing company. You will also have the opportunity to take ownership of new & critical features central to the success of both our patients & mission.
- Partner with product management & design to come up with features & solutions that improve the entire Virta Experience from first applicant contact to latest patient achievements.
- Code & ship APIs that enable complex new features in our web & mobile apps at high velocity with high quality & well-structured code.
- Coach & mentor peers & partner with other senior engineers across the team to improve engineering platforms & recommend best practices & tools.
- Troubleshoot, debug, & fix issues in production & non-production environments.
- Manage performance & usage of applications in the production environment.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Use Virtas technology stack to ship features that have a major impact on patient outcomes, customer success, or engineering architecture.
- Implement server side features
- Teach & inspire other engineering team members through pair programming & giving feedback via code reviews.
- Propose & implement one or more process or product improvements to make our engineering team even better.
- 2+ years of shipping backend code in a high quality production environment, with exposure to data layer development.
- Experience building complex server-side business logic & RESTful APIs.
- Experience building, deploying, & maintaining microservices in production.
- Strong communication skills with a proven history of interfacing with business-level stakeholders, both technical & non-technical alike.
- Attention to detail, with demonstrated ability to carefully craft both code & tests.
- A love for learning & adapting to new technologies to solve core business problems.
Virtas company values drive our culture, so youll do well if:
- You put people first & take care of yourself, your peers, & our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership & take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego & understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency & promote trust & empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based & prioritize data & science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks & rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security & privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security & privacy training will be provided.