Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build & scale the services powering our interactive web & mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely "how it looks" but "how it works." A great product is reliable, performant, & scales with the growth of the customer base & the team. The platform engineering teams focus on building scalable platforms which other teams can leverage to build product features . If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys or is interested in building platforms that are scalable, reliable, & performant, we want to hear from you!
You will report to an Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices & provides flexibility for our employees. While many of our engineers are based in NYC, we have teams that are able to accommodate fully remote work. Please select which state you hope to reside in via the dropdown with our approved locations below.
What do the Platform Engineering teams do?
The platform engineering teams design software platforms that are scalable, reliable, & performant - from building out microservices frameworks to content rendering. These platforms are utilized by product engineering teams to provide an amazing experience for our customers. As a member of the platform organization, you will work with engineers across the company to develop & enhance platforms that serve Squarespace customers.
We have multiple teams that are hiring, & throughout the interview process our goal will be to learn more about your technical skills, the kind of work that excites you, & where you want to take your career. Here are a few examples of teams that are hiring:
- Media Platform: Media Platform is responsible for powering billions of interactive media (image, video & audio etc) on Squarespace websites, from media ingestion, processing (such as resizing, automatic optimization & transcoding etc) through our media pipeline services, store media in cloud storage & serving them via our origin services & CNDs to millions of Squarespace customers & billions of visitors to their websites & other products.
- Core Platforms: The Core Platforms team is looking for engineers to help us develop our customer protection platforms (such as anti-abuse & data privacy systems) & our customer communication platforms (such as our email delivery ecosystem & mobile notifications). We are focused on developing solutions that empower Squarespaces product teams & help keep our customers safe.
As a Platform Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Architect & implement platform systems that will be used by multiple engineering teams across the company
- Collaborate with other engineers & teams to ensure the seamless rollout of platform features & optimizations
- Own complex projects end-to-end
- Explore new technologies that are at the forefront of the industry
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users & businesses powered by Squarespace
- Set coding standards & collaborate with other engineers & teams to ensure the successful adoption of best practices
- Improve the developer experience for other engineers that use the platform
- Write testable, readable & maintainable server-side code
- Mentor engineers
You will succeed as a Platform Senior Software Engineer if you:
- Have 5+ years experience developing production systems using Java
- Enjoy working on cross team initiatives
- Have experience developing in a large-scale distributed systems environment
- Have experience with microservice architecture design
- Understand SQL & NoSQL database schema design, caching & scalability
- Have experience with queues & stream-processing technologies such as RabbitMQ & Kafka
If youre interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if you dont meet all of the above qualifications.
What you can expect from us:
Your team & manager will:
- Provide opportunities that align with your interests, career growth, & the growth of the company
- Create an inclusive environment thats psychologically safe & encourages learning
- Work with you to build a personalized career growth plan with clear expectations & milestones
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you & your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility & adoption benefits
- Free lunch & snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) & pretax (US)
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design & sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people from individuals & local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the worlds most iconic businesses to share their stories with the world. Squarespaces team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles & Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives & experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace & celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.