Pursuit is a social impact organization, consisting of a 501c3 non-profit & a Public Benefit Corporation, focused on creating economic transformation for high-need, high-potential adults through technology. We are a mission-driven organization that goes beyond technical instruction to offer coaching, career development, & employer partnerships that help our Fellows secure high-paying software engineering jobs & thrive in their new careers.
We are One Big Team
The passionate & collaborative team at Pursuit gives its all to achieve our mission. And its not just staff. We work with employer partners that love hiring our Fellows because they are so well prepared, ranging from big financial firms to scrappy startups, & everything in between. We also activate & engage hundreds of volunteers that come from all areas of the tech industry. These experts & professionals help keep our curriculum fresh & our standards for achievement high by participating in our admissions process, as well as program-specific activities such as interview training, DemoDays, Hackathons, & Capstone projects.
About the Role
Pursuit is looking for a Manager of Leadership & Career Success. You will be charged with empowering Fellows to build the skills necessary to successfully navigate the job search process & get their first jobs as software developers. You are a member of a Core Team, & will collaborate with other Core staff & cross-functionally with: the Volunteer Manager, the Employment Team, & Partnerships & Business Development Team (PBD), as well as with members of our volunteer community. The majority of this role will be delivering workshops & providing coaching & feedback to Fellows on their personal branding, job applications, & networking.
As the Manager of Leadership & Career Success you will:
Ensure all Fellows are delivered a uniform, high-quality, evidence-informed learning experience across the spectrum of learning within industry readiness & leadership & personal development.
- Content design & facilitation
- Ensure Fellows engage in impactful communication, leadership & teamwork building activities, assignments, workshops & coaching through delivery of classroom-based & asynchronous learning experiences.
- Educate fellows & graduates of Core program on the soft & non-technical skills needed to thrive in professional & technical environments.
- Deliver high quality feedback on IR & L&PD assignments based on rubrics & skills maps.
- Model professional skills & behaviors for Fellows
- Develop weekly workshops, sessions, & student-facing resources on a variety of professional skills related to industry readiness, leadership & personal development, personal brand assets, & job applications & the job search, including resume writing, cover letters, behavioral interviews, networking, company research, negotiations & more
- Own the implementation, maintenance, & grading of industry readiness, leadership & personal development, personal brand assets curriculum & assignments in our LMS & on our internal wiki.
- Fellow learning experience & success
- Own the development & refinement of virtual & in-person classroom-based & asynchronous non-technical learning content in our Learning Management System (LMS)
- Closely monitor & analyze Fellow progress & use internal data tracking & instructional meetings to monitor Fellow progress & initiate interventions for Fellows who are struggling or exceeding expectations.
- Escalate Fellow concerns with the instructional team & the Fellow Success Lead as necessary, & document & monitor fellow-facing academic support plans for struggling Fellows under the Fellow Success Leads guidance.
- Career readiness
- Ensure all Fellows complete the program with certified job-ready application materials (including: resume, cover letter, interview skills) through group workshop & one-on-one feedback & coaching
- Ensure all Fellows have a competitive portfolio & can successfully navigate the job search process
- Ensure Fellows complete the program with strong professional networks & social presence through activities, assignments, workshops Thursday Industry events, & coaching
- Help Fellows identify their personal career goals to best impact their job search & educational experience
- Prepare fellows for facilitated hiring opportunities, working with Employment team to understand requirements & interview process
- Work with the instructional team, the Fellow Success Lead, & the Employment team to monitor Fellow progress towards job readiness & make data-driven decisions to IR & LPD curriculum based on Fellow outcomes
- Event support
- Partnering with other Career & Leadership Coaches & your instructional team, support the production & implementation of Fellow-facing educational & event-specific communications & exercises based on Pursuit guidelines (examples include: Orientation, Launch Week, Hackathon, Tech Showcase, Capstone, Thursday Industry Events).
- Provide onsite support for Fellows for in-person events as needed.
To be considered for the Manager, Leadership & Career Success position you should have:
- Familiarity with the tech landscape & job market; previous experience working in or with the tech industry, ideally in a cross-functional role or as part of the hiring process (hiring manager, recruiter, HR team) & career development endeavors.
- Experience with or interest in working directly with adults from underserved communities. Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education & lifestyle) as an asset & demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within the Pursuit community
- Professional experience developing other people & holding them accountable to high standards (e.g. HR, Team Manager, Social Worker, Teacher, Project Manager, Career & Leadership Coach)
- Experience creating & delivering presentations to large groups of people
- Experience holding various stakeholders & adult learners accountable to stated expectations
Where youll work:
- Virtuallyfor nowfrom your home or our community office space in Long Island City, NYC
- Because we are One Big Team, we are having conversations on what a return to in-person work schedules would look like & are actively gathering feedback from staff & fellows to determine the best course of action
Pursuit Values Diversity
Our team has a wide range of backgrounds & experiences, & we value the richness that diversity brings to our organization. We welcome new perspectives & affirm that all employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, familial or marital status, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Pursuit is an equal opportunity employer.