Vox Media is the leading independent modern media company. Known for building the best media brands & the technology that enables them, we are committed to building a better future for the industry & getting the future of media right. Vox Medias editorial networks include Vox, The Verge, SB Nation, Eater, Polygon, Recode, & Curbed. Our diverse storytelling & advertising businesses include the Concert publisher-led marketplace, the Vox Creative brand studio, the Chorus publishing platform, & the companys entertainment division Vox Media Studios, which includes the Vox Media Podcast Network & Epic.
Vox.com launched in April 2014. The video team has grown to over 30 people & made a name for Vox as one of the leaders in informative web videos. We publish on our YouTube channel, Facebook, Vox.com, & Netflix, creating videos both independently & in collaboration with the larger Vox.com staff. As we grow, well need help ensuring a consistent & high standard of quality so that our audience can be assured that theyre getting impeccable research along with stylish, beautiful presentation.
Vox.coms video team is looking for a motion designer to create animations for our YouTube channel & other social platforms. Motion design is crucial to our distinctive explainer style. We need clear visuals that can help explain complex ideas to the general public. You must have a strong sense of design, typography, & data viz. Youll work closely with producers, motion designer, & art director to utilize motion graphics thatll elevate our storytelling.
What you'll do:
- Edit & animate videos from start to finish
- Work with producers to create visual approaches for videos
- Provide motion design work to be included in videos
- Create templates for video series using style guides
- Design & animate charts & maps
- Develop & design styleframes
Other possible responsibilities:
- Help with visual research & mentor junior motion designers
- Create social media assets for our work across platforms including thumbnail images & original artwork
- Support the art director in team projects
What you'll bring:
- At least two years of experience in motion design/animation with Adobe After Effects or equivalent level of skill
- Experience in editing
- Experience in finding & collecting relevant archival footage & material
- Fantastic design taste & attention to detail/accuracy
- Data visualization experience is a plus
- Stop-motion, painting, music, & nearly any other creative skill is a plus
- Deep familiarity with Voxs video voice & style
- Creative drive to explore brand new approaches to video storytelling
- Awareness of what competitors are doing in video
If this sounds like you, please send us a resume & cover letter.In your letter, please include at least 3 links to your past work (journalistic and/or educational examples preferred), & describe your role in the production of the piece.
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours & generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees & to ensure that our healthcare & other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging & funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds & everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer & does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.