Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Job:
As Associate Corporate Counsel you will be responsible for a variety of legal matters, ranging from drafting & negotiating contracts, structuring partnership opportunities, & advising on marketing & product plans. You will work with key partners across the business. As a savvy corporate generalist, you will be a trusted legal advisor to Rent the Runways partnerships, operations, marketing, product, & fashion teams & support democratizing the future of fashion.
You will report to the Senior Corporate Counsel & work collaboratively with the other members of the legal team.
What Youll Do:
- Structure, draft & negotiate a range of commercial agreements, ranging from standard contracts to complex strategic partnerships.
- Partner with product teams to work smart in launching innovative products & services.
- Advise on advertising & marketing matters.
- Identify & analyze legal issues & communicate sound, understandable recommendations to the various internal stakeholders you support - the why but also the how.
- Drive continuous growth & development of our internal processes with an emphasis on efficiency & scalability, creating playbooks, & proactively identifying opportunities for enhancement.
- Lead trainings for business partners on legal issues.
- JD & NY bar membership or registration as an in-house attorney in NY.
- 2-4 years of relevant in-house or law firm experience.
- Experience drafting & negotiating a variety of commercial contracts & counseling clients on a variety of matters.
- A practical, business-oriented approach & ability to translate legal issues into clear, plain English guidance for non-lawyers.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment & an ability to calibrate when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right.
- An ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong relationships & influence across departments.
- An ability to prioritize & manage multiple critical projects under tight deadlines.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the well-being of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.