Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the worlds first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable & financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories & home decor from 700+ brand partners & has built in-house proprietary technology & a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO & Co-Founder Jennifer Hymans leadership, RTR has been named to CNBCs Disruptor 50 five times in ten years, & has been placed on Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the TIME 100 most influential people in the world & as one of People magazines Women Changing the World.
About the Team:
The operations team at RTR works to deliver the customer mission by innovating through automation, process improvement, transportation methods, packaging & garment science. In doing so, the RTR operations team owns the largest cost components of the business: fulfillment labor, transportation & inventory care. While this is true of any e-commerce company, our subscription rental model & reverse logistics process introduce complexities that are unique to RTR. Given that garments are rented multiple times, returning garments to like-new condition is critical to maximizing the life of our inventory. RTR is thus not only tasked with scaling productive operational processes for traditional e-commerce functions, but also with carrying out manufacturing-like processes such as dry cleaning & repairs. The variety of our inventory assortment - which has been expanding with the growth of new categories - further introduces challenges to implementing traditional technologies & solutions. Success on the RTR operations team requires the pursuit of constant innovation beyond conventional standards.
About the Job:
RTR is seeking an outstanding Fulfillment Project Engineer to join our Operations Engineering team to plan & execute high impact, large CAPEX projects that will transform & scale the operation. In this position, you will partner with cross-functional teams & interface with business leaders to drive critical business initiatives. This role provides the opportunity to shape strategic planning & tackle key challenges that will take RTR fulfillment & the customer experience to the next level.
What Youll Do:
- Play a central role in designing & launching new dream fulfillment centers to fuel RTRs growth throughout the U.S.
- Design, launch & operationalize large CAPEX, transformative projects spanning across a breadth of operational areas, including automation, productivity, quality, lead time, dry cleaning technology, capacity management & safety.
- Manage relationships with major international vendors & source new vendors to launch new automation systems, equipment & other solutions.
- Work autonomously in an ambiguous environment, seeking to understand business problems, automation limitations, scaling factors, boundary conditions & the rationale driving overarching leadership decisions.
- We are open to NJ or TX based person
- Bachelors degree in Engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in the job offered or related occupation of Design/Innovation, Research & Development, Manufacturing/Process/ Industrial Engineering, or related fields.
- Experience in technical leadership for complex, large-scale industrial engineering projects.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced & rapidly changing environment.
- Masters Degree or other advanced degree in Mechanical/Industrial/Process Engineering, Operations, Business Administration or related field.
- Experience managing MHE integrators.
- Experiencing running RFQ processes.
- Experience with complex automated material handling equipment, packaging technologies, & systems including robotics & high-speed manufacturing.
- Experience designing & launching new facilities.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD & other 3D CAD.
- PMP certification.
- Experience managing plant flow.
- Design-in-Safety experience.
At Rent the Runway, were committed to the wellbeing of our employees, & aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal & professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, & family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves & their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, & have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription & rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA & dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first & weve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events & outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 & over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing & characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.