Foursquare is the leading independent location technology & data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces & physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, & achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquares location tech stack is being utilized by the worlds largest enterprises & most recognizable brands.
Foursquares flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact & drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest & real-world behavior patterns (Places & Visits), & tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification & visualization (Unfolded Studio).
About the Team
The Observability Team is responsible for building, managing & evangelizing Foursquare's observability platform. This team owns log aggregation, metrics, visualization, instrumentation, distributed tracing & SLOs/SLIs best practices on our data platform as well as our online presence. Our customers are all engineering teams at Foursquare & this team helps them tell a complete story of application health.
About the Role
Foursquare is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our observability team, responsible for the software & infrastructure that powers the observability platform at Foursquare. This person will be responsible for their teams execution & ability to ship high quality software in a fast paced environment. They will also be responsible for setting the team technical direction & roadmaps, making sure the right process is in place to help the team deliver. They will help to cultivate the growth of the engineers on the team & their career paths at Foursquare.
Responsibilities of the Role
- Manage & coach a team(s) of talented sre/ops/devops engineers
- Responsible for the team's technical roadmap & direction & developing observability standards.
- Manage the development of scalable & reliable systems to support our diverse engineering teams.
- Build standards that encompass varied use cases in order to empower the platform.
- Evaluate & introduce new technologies, processes & policies when necessary.
- Partner with other engineering & product teams & department stakeholders to align on & drive forward broader engineering & company initiatives
- 4+ years of proven industry experience designing & building scalable, fault tolerant high-uptime distributed systems from the ground up
- 1+ years experience managing an engineering team or being a team lead
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey intricate systems & logic to both technical & non-technical audiences
- Proficient in capacity planning & sprint planning, working with Product Management & Engineering Leadership to help execute on a roadmap
- Track record of reliably shipping & scaling high-quality products as an individual contributor and/or manager
- Excellent problem solving & large-scale systems debugging skills, & analytical skills to find answers
- Strong proficiency with Linux, cloud, containerization, & infrastructure as code.
Perks & Benefits
- Learning & development programs from individual contributors to managers
- Individual, professional coaching for all full-time employees
- Flexible time off - rest & recharge when you need it!
- Comprehensive & competitive health, vision, dental, life insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Home office setup: you get all necessary hardware & internet reimbursement
- Family planning programs via Carrot & Maven
- Employee Resource Groups to help you stay connected
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users & team members. We value listening to every voice & we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company & products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.