Reporting to the VP, Chief Accounting Officer, the Head of Global Tax will be responsible for leading the strategic direction of our tax function. You will establish the departments vision & goals along with driving the transformation of our tax function to scale for growth, including international expansion.
This position is based in San Francisco, CA.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Advise & drive transformation of our tax function to scale for growth, which includes people development, process & workpapers simplification & standardization, & effective use of data & technology
- Serve as the Companys lead tax expert & advisor & work cross-functionally with business partners & other corporate functions such as legal, business units, supply chain on tax efficient supply chain structures implementation to ensure optimal tax outcomes
- Responsible for preparing and/or reviewing the income tax provisions for under ASC 740, tax reserves (FIN 48 & FAS 5) & related SEC filing disclosures
- Oversee all direct & indirect taxes, including income, sales & use, property, & consumption-based taxes. Including actively monitoring US, state, & tax legislative & judicial actions, analyze potential impacts/benefits, & implement mitigation or action plans for the Company
- Analyze tax ramifications of unusual contracts, M&A activities, strategic initiatives & significant transactions
- Perform technical review & research of complex tax return issues Build collaborative relationships across the company
- Oversee the design & execution of tax controls in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley & Audits & constantly monitor for updates & changes
- Perform special projects as needed
What You Bring To The Role
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or Finance; MST/CPA preferred
- 10+ years of combined large scale public accounting & industry experience
- Demonstrated extensive federal & state corporate tax knowledge.
- Able to identify issues, analyze & interpret relevant tax laws when handling complex subject matters.
- Solid US GAAP accounting knowledge especially with the ASC 740, ASC 718, & ASC 842
- Excellent management & leadership skills, with the ability to leverage, coach & motivate talent to inspire action & achieve results
- Detailed oriented & strong analytical skills
- Strong project management, written & oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, & a proven ability to work in a fast-paced & deadline driven environment.
- Ability to think strategically & act operationally; ability to manage ambiguity, risk, & changing direction of projects & strategies
- Strong leadership skills, team player, flexible, & ability to resolve conflicts
- Experience with Avalara & NetSuite, a plus
The RealReal is the worlds largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe & reliable platform for consumers to buy & sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists & brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categoriesincluding women's & men's fashion, fine jewelry & watches, art & homein support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off & direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI & machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing & listing their items, as well as handling shipping & customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts & receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.