Who We Are
Summer's mission is to help the 45 million Americans burdened by student debt save time & money through smart, algorithm-based recommendations. Summer combines policy expertise & innovative technology to serve student loan borrowers across the country. Our founding team draws on years of experience in public policy, law, consumer finance, & engineering to tackle one of the greatest challenges of our generation.
We're registered as a public benefit corporation as part of our commitment to helping all borrowers improve their financial health through better repayment strategies. We recently raised our Series A & are backed by a team of world-class investors, including General Catalyst, NextView, Greycroft, Foundation Capital, Story Ventures, & QED Investors-and our first partner is Yale University.
As Head of Engineering, you will forge the technical vision for Summer & lead the technology team in our NYC office. You will work closely with feature teams to oversee the build of innovative products to help student loan borrowers across the country achieve their financial goals. In this role, you'll get to:
- Manage & build a diverse team of engineers who are as ambitious as they are empathetic
- Develop Summer's technical roadmap
- Lead the engineering of our digital tools, data connections, & product architecture
- Coach engineers & data scientists to help them realize their potential
- Take our data infrastructure to the next level with more robust testing environments & DevSecOps best practices
- Experiment with an open-minded team
- Ship exceptional products that people love
- Represent Summer's technology team in business decisions & provide thought partnership for growth strategy
We are seeking a teammate with 10+ years of experience building data-based products & scaling technology teams. We will be evaluating your track record of leading engineering teams in a fast-moving startup environment. Your ability to communicate effectively & work closely with product & business managers against a backdrop of ambiguity will contribute to your success at Summer. If you have relevant experience & are excited about fintech innovation at a company that's breaking down barriers to higher education, we'd love to chat!
Values + Benefits
We're proud to be a mission-driven company with an inclusive culture. Our greatest asset is the set of values our team strives to embody every day in our office (located next to Grand Central): empathy, diversity, growth, determination, humility, & fun. Read more about what these mean to us at https://www.meetsummer.org/careers
We also offer significant equity allocations, healthcare coverage, & flexible vacation/PTO.
Sound interesting? We look forward to hearing from you. Join us to help fix the system!