For the first time, Stack Overflow is looking for a Copywriter to play a leading role in defining our tone of voice & wider brand positioning.
Stack Overflow & the Stack Exchange network has a large & diverse audience comprising the community visiting our Public Platform & customers (or potential customers) of our three paid products, Stack Overflow for Teams, Stack Overflow Advertising & Stack Overflow Talent. Knowing when we are speaking to one, both, or when they are the same is the challenge. Weve spent the last 18 months making great strides with our visual Brand. Now we want to grow the Brand team with the addition of a Copywriter, someone who can help us figure out what we want to say & how to say it.
While were hiring remote (globally), we need your working hours to overlap with at least the hours of 10AM - 1PM US Eastern time.
What youll do:
- Community is at the center of everything we do. Your work will nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn & give back.
- There has never been a single minded approach to copy at Stack Overflow (click around, youll see!), so you will define our voice & become the voice of truth for how we communicate & advocate for the craft of copywriting.
- Collaborate with Brand Designers, Marketers & Product & Engineering Stackers to produce Marketing collateral across print & digital which shape the brand. Writing to length & being aware of how responsive websites can affect the flow of copy.
- This role extends out of day-to-day marketing needs & into other areas such as in-product copy, social media & our growing content production arm.
- Project management skills - managing your own time & collaborating closely with Product Marketing Managers to develop their ideas into a brief for a designer/developer, then proofing before final delivery.
- Work with the data-side of the marketing team to analyze content performance metrics to evaluate what worked well & what didnt..
- Strategize within Brand & with other Marketing team members to pitch & execute on ideas to raise the awareness of our Brand.
- Advocate for what you do. Most of your colleagues havent worked with a copywriting function so educating & inspiring those around you.
What we want to see:
- Proactive & can prioritize more work than we have time for. We have 10+ years of technical/writing/design debt to go through. What has the most impact vs the time it takes? Which projects do you need help from others on?
- A diverse writing portfolio including some or all of: long-form, advertising, product & sub-editing skills.
- Software is still eating the world. Were at the center of developer culture so being sensitive & culturally-relevant to our audience is a must (memes, anyone?)
- Experience working with both designers, perhaps in an agency environment. Expect pings for ad-hoc advice & help dealing with widows & orphans.
- Ability to break down complex technical concepts into layman terms
- Good stakeholder management skills - knowing how to priorities & effectively pushback is a must.
- Experience working remotely & asynchronously. Our HQ is in New York but your immediate team is fully remote in Europe & the US, with key stakeholders across the US & beyond.
- Bonus I: you have an interest/passion/experience editing - theres always something written that needs a sense check or second opinion (this job description for example).
- Bonus II: youre not afraid to get stuck into some code (just basic HTML) & maybe youve used GitHub. If not, youll learn something by watching some of the most talented developers in the world do their thing.
What youll need to have:
- 5+ years of writing B2B marketing copy; prior experience as a technical writer, is a plus
- Must have branding experience
- Agency experience is a plus
- Someone with impeccable attention to detail
- Creative thinker & problem solver whos comfortable working in a fast-pace environment
- Have a solid understanding of overall marketing strategy & are able to serve as a strategic partner to departments across the team
- Effective & proactive communicator who enjoys collaborating & working with others
- Driven & welcome to constructive feedback to improve your skills
- Passionate about what you do & all things writing, marketing, storytelling
- Prior experience working with in a remote role, is a plus
- A portfolio with examples of your writing is a must for this position
If this job interests you but you arent certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
Well only consider applications with a cover letter - please make sure to include yours & tell us what youll bring to the team.
What youll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary & Commission
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, & unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If you want to work remotely. Well reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office Youll be in our headquarters in New York City, & enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, & all the espresso you can drink.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check & upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company & better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can & we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.