Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands & grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, & analytics tools.
We are seeking an attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal & external relationships, & have an opportunity to influence legal & business strategies.
Our attorneys work closely with our product, marketing, engineering, communications, customer support, & client relations teams, & are required to assist in a wide range of subject matters. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, & legal skills, so an aptitude for business is required, & overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career at a law firm, is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position, & has a background in data privacy & data security & familiarity with software or technology transactions. Superior analytical skills & a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance.
- Provide advice & support directly to business leads & technical specialists on a range of legal & business issues, including issues related to data privacy, data security, & data governance.
- Work directly with company business leads to draft, review, & negotiate contracts, with specific focus on privacy issues that arise in a wide variety of commercial transactions.
- Support compliance efforts with respect to U.S. & international laws & regulations related to data privacy, data security, & data governance.
- Assist with implementation of Mailchimps Data Protection Impact Assessment program, working directly with product teams to facilitate completion of DPIAs.
- Coordinate with outside counsel in domestic & international markets on issues related to data privacy, product features, transactional issues, & other technology initiatives.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, product, communications & other stakeholders on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Other responsibilities include assisting in transactions & regulatory matters, counseling internal team members on legal & business matters, & drafting commercial agreements.
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 2-5 years of legal experience at a law firm
- IAPP Privacy Certification such as CIPP or CIPM preferred
- Demonstrably strong technical aptitude & business acumen
- Very strong interpersonal & communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, & build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Excellent writing & document drafting skills
- Strong strategic thinking & analytical skills & judgment
- Team-oriented attitude & ability to balance multiple tasks & priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Relevant legal knowledge or experience with data privacy law & corporate transactional law
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business & legal trends in the legal areas of data privacy & data security
- Technological experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned & highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, & our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees & their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, & ambitious people, & give them endless opportunities to grow & succeed.
We love our hometown & support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, & we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.