Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, & thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join the Data & Analytics team at Cockroach Labs.As a member of the data organization, youll help power data science, ETLs, self-service data, & tools to make us efficient & facilitate scalable decision-making. You Will be responsible for defining, developing & managing curated datasets, key business metrics & reporting across functional units at Cockroach Labs.
- Conceptualize, Develop & own the data architecture, data pipelines & centralized data warehouse with trustworthy curated datasets & standardized metrics & business definitions to empower data access & self-service
- Collaborate with engineering, product, design, & operations teams to build best-in-class data applications that will support Cockroach Labss missions & goals
- Provide strategic & tactical recommendations for Product, Sales & Marketing
- Augment our systems to create a modern data architecture using best practices for data democracy & self-service analysis.
In your first month, you will go through the Cockroach Labs onboarding process & start to build relationships with stakeholders across the company. You will understand our current data architecture & the internal & external resources we use to maintain it. You will start to prioritize the current backlog of data requests.
After 30 days, you will have a grasp on the major questions the product management team needs to answer, as well as the executive-level questions that require coordination between disparate data sets. You will update the roadmap priority & put in place key processes for building out this function. You will develop a point of view on the direction we need to take our data platform to support our product operations.
After 90 days, you will be fully integrated into the team. You will put in place the major processes for supporting Product & the broader organization, & make incremental improvements to our data platform that demonstrably improve our ability to make decisions. You will socialize a strategy for data in the Product team & how this will support the needs of other departments in the future.
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer using Python, Java,Scala or any other programming language
- Experience designing & developing data collecting & processing systems to handle large data sets.
- 3+ years of experience & knowledge of modern data warehouse, building scalable pipelines & reporting/analytic techniques
- Deep expertise in tools such as Spark,Airflow, Presto/Hive, Spark, or any other streaming technologies to process incredible volumes of data, Looker, Tableau or other reporting tools
- Demonstrated ability in designing & implementing centralized modern data warehousing/platforms (snowflake/looker/segment/etc) that support self-service analytics
- Strong knowledge of data architecture, data modeling,statistics,data science & data infrastructure ecosystems
- Effective communication skills: Work with cross-functional stakeholders & present ideas in a non-technical way
- Experience in establishing data engineering best practices & methodologies to ensure data transformations & computations are accurate, efficient, & tested
Reporting to Veera Ilamurugu, Head of Data
Veera Ilamurugu heads up the Data Analytics team at Cockroach Labs. He is responsible for our Product data strategy & passionate about building & scaling businesses with data. Before joining Cockroach Labs, Veera was a Head of Analytics at Stitchfix, Leading analytics team covering internal company strategy When not at work, he enjoys watching Netflix,trying out new recipes in the kitchen & listening to music.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse & inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.