First Look Media is looking for a Director of Communications for Topic.com who will create, execute & manage a robust communications & public relations strategy in support of the digital storytelling platform, Topic.com, its video content & continued evolution. The ideal candidate will be able to develop a steady cadence of impactful publicity to drive home our compelling narrative that conveys our vision & business priorities, putting an emphasis on the innovative content & programming the Topic.com team consistently develops to connect with & grow its audience.
The role will work cross-functionally to communicate with teams internally as well as externally; work closely with Topic.coms team on planning, launching & publicizing each issue & programming priorities -- including exploring media partnerships, driving publicity, seeking out influencers & establishing relationships with key media & industry blogs. The role also calls for the ability to devise specific communications materials & campaigns; engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators & other opinion formers; develop print & web-based material supporting these campaigns; & counter any misinformation that might interfere with Topic.coms goals.
We are looking for a confident senior communicator who can build public relations opportunities for Topic.com across consumer, entertainment, digital, art, news, photography & trade media. This candidate must also possess relevant industry expertise, relationships, excellent written & communications skills & an ability to learn fast & move faster in an ever-changing environment. Candidate should be passionate, knowledgeable & equipped to spearhead publicity campaigns autonomously with drive & creativity. The Director of Communications is a new role & will be a key member of the team, working closely with Topic.coms editorial leadership, General Manager & First Look Medias Chief Communications Officer.
The role reports to FLMs Chief Communications Officer.
- Develop an always-on public relations strategy to position Topic.com in the media industry & trades.
- Manage publicity efforts for all of Topic.coms video assets including originals, acquisitions social video, short series, documentaries, scripted content & short films in consumer press.
- Work directly with several of our brand & creative partners, internally & externally, to develop specialized PR programs for target audiences.
- Strategize with marketing team to ensure impactful media campaigns are built & executed to grow reach, audience & earn industry acclaim.
- Produce key messages, talking points, press releases, one-pagers, presentations/keynotes, Q&As, thought leadership pieces, bylined articles, & other communications assets.
- Coordinate with events & editorial teams to create & support screenings, panels, festival premiers, speaking opportunities & consumer events to further amplify Topic.com.
- Influence new business ideas to ensure there is a strong PR angle in the programs we conceptualize for prospective & pre-existing partners.
- Manage awards strategy & submissions for Topic.coms programming.
- Identify & execute opportunities to showcase relevant information as appropriate, in support of internal brand awareness & employee engagement objectives.
- Partner with marketing & social media teams to ensure comprehensive media campaigns for program priorities.
- Serve as a trusted communications adviser for Topics executives.
- Manage crisis & issues with key stakeholders & senior communications lead.
- Collaborate cross functionally to ensure communications & branding align with larger company voice, tone & goals.
Background & Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree in PR/Communications, Journalism or English a plus.
- Minimum 8+ years of PR/communications experience, with emphasis in entertainment/media industry preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, PowerPoint, Cision & Apple Keynote desired.
- A strategic, critical thinker with solid storytelling skills who can work in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Extensive experience in promoting video SVOD
- A strong passion for, & deep knowledge of the brand marketing & communications ecosystem.
- Exceptional verbal, written, & presentation skills; demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information & present it in a clear, concise & conversational manner. Must have strong editing skills & keen attention to detail.
- Extensive experience managing multiple clients at once to amplify buzz worthy consumer campaigns.
- Unique ability to navigate through even the most complex companies.
- Digital & social storytelling & engagement experience a PLUS.
- Strong ability to work independently or collaboratively with minimal supervision.
- Proven experience of delivering results with impact.
- Willingness to take smart risks & lead initiatives with confidence.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with utmost discretion.
- Ability to successfully manage competing priorities & offer advice & recommendations with justifiable back-up.
Topic is the ambitious new storytelling brand & entertainment studio from First Look Media, dedicated to supporting creators at the forefront of culture. From Academy Award-winning films (Spotlight) to television, audio & digital, we explore a wide range of subject matter, both fiction & nonfiction with an emphasis on stories of consequence that explore the issues of our time. Our approach challenging, compelling & unconventional reflects our commitment to discovering & amplifying independent new voices, & supporting established ones.
About First Look Media
First Look Media is a new-model media company devoted to supporting independent voices, from fearless investigative journalism & documentary filmmaking to smart, provocative entertainment. Launched in 2013 by eBay founder & philanthropist Pierre Omidyar, First Look Media was created with the belief that independent perspectives are vital to both a vibrant culture & a thriving democracy.
First Look Media is currently in the market with its flagship properties, The Intercept, Topic, The Nib & Field of Vision, & plans to continue expanding its mission of supporting independent voices via a variety of new brands, formats & platforms as well as through foundational technology helping creators & audiences develop, distribute, discover & connect with meaningful stories.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer--people of color, people with disabilities, women, & LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply; we are committed to a diverse workplace, & to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.