Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
As Director, Content Marketing at Codecademy you will play a vital role in spreading the Codecademy mission, helping us reach & educate people all over the world by sharing the Codecademy story & shaping our brand within the lifestyle of our Consumer(s); along the way building the scale of our user base & driving membership subscriptions.
To accomplish this, a marketing & publishing mindset with experience in lifecycle content marketing, content distribution & customer journey mapping is vital, as is a clear understanding of the marketing funnel, experience designing experiments, & the ability to glean insight from data.
The ideal candidate is a storyteller, collaborator, problem solver, & idea generator with a deep understanding of content marketing. This role reports to the VP of Marketing.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop a concise strategy to grow Codecademy membership via marketing content distributed through organic channels such as Public Relations, SEO, social & content publishing platforms
- Develop plans that guide the production of content, offering a connected experience across customer segments, campaigns, & channels
- Actively manage the distribution of content, shaping the Codecademy brand, driving interest & traffic & ultimately acquiring new (paid) memberships
- Devise innovative ways to interact with consumers & B2B target audiences to increase awareness & engagement
- Capture, understand, communicate & (where applicable) leverage industry & competitive trends
- Develop a measurement approach for content marketing to understand success, create optimization feedback loops & develop consumer insight
- Develop a framework to test & continuously improve performance through optimization, vetting new ideas & implementing scalable best practices
- Take a systematic approach & inform marketing tech stack to build an effective & scalable operation
- Employ a global focus, expanding scale through regional approaches
- Develop a point of view & plan to address in-housing vs. outsourcing (to agency) of content marketing activities
- Manage agencies to align on strategy, budgets, goals, & plans
- Partner with finance, design, data analytics & agencies to track & report performance, including budget tracking & forecasting
- Effectively communicate results & insights across stakeholders
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 6+ years of experience in content marketing & experience with organic channels, such as Public Relations, SEO, Social and/or Publishing
- Ability to understand & embody the customer value proposition, find ways into it & express communication in ways both novel & meaningful
- A passion for content marketing, the ability to be creative & understand how to scale a creative idea is essential
- Strong creative sensibilities & a visual eye for design aesthetics, & content curation
- While creativity & instinct is important, these sensibilities must be coupled with a strong bias for action, an analytical mindset & an outcome based approach
- Ability to work closely with other areas of expertise, including integrated & product marketing, engineering, creative, finance & others
- Some understanding of SEO, content discovery, & content technology
- This role involves leadership, management, & execution - a great fit represents appreciating & understanding how to blend them for maximum impact
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT
- Experience working with international expansion
- Experience in working with Agile is a plus
- Subscription marketing experience & managing toward customer acquisition
- Interest in coding or passion for empowering others through coding education is a plus
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.