Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Come & help us to build our customer platform & make an impact on Earth!
Planet monitors the Earth by observing the entire Earth everyday. The market for these insights is new & therefore requires engineering that embraces change as we establish product market fit. Customer platform engineers are focused on continuously improving the value we deliver to customers, increasing the market for the earth observation industry.
As a backend engineer, you will be critical in building nimble backend systems & infrastructure to serve Planets APIs, web apps, & SDKs. From designing databases & engineering data flows, to orchestrating tasks across our microservices, you will be a key player in ensuring we can quickly meet the ever-changing needs of Planets customers.
In this role, you will be challenged to: deliver robust & nimble infrastructure, have a sharp product & business sense, & think big yet deliver value incrementally.
Impact Youll Own:
- Work as an integral member of a cross-functional team focused on engineering our backend to support customer-focused needs such as:
- User authentication flows using standards such as OAuth & OIDC
- Attribute-based access control authorization systems to provide fine-grained control over customer use
- Build cloud infrastructure to post-process & deliver millions of images per day to customers
- Design & implement customer facing APIs to serve raster & vector geospatial data efficiently & intuitively
- Build infrastructure & systems that will be flexible/nimble so we can evolve our product quickly & with high velocity
- Participate in an on-call rotation to ensure our systems remain up 24/7
Senior applicants will:
- Develop a vision & roadmap to improve our engineering stack
- Help to sequence & de-risk projects to ensure timely delivery of value
- Collaborate with product & other cross-functional stakeholders to co-create an impactful customer experience.
What You Bring:
- Building backend systems using a service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Developing well-thought out, scalable, maintainable REST APIs
- Utilizing & building on PubSub paradigms
- Continuous Integration (CI) & Continuous Delivery (CD) tooling
- Go and/or Python
- SQL database design & management
- Building infrastructure in a cloud environment
- Leveraging the capabilities of GCP, AWS, or Azure cloud platforms
- Utilizing the infrastructure-as-code paradigm with tools such as Terraform
- Linux, Git & command line tools
- Working in cross-functional teams that put customer requirements first
- Adaptability & openness to changes & challenges
- A positive, can-do attitude to work
Senior applicants will also have:
- Clear communication skills that resonate with engineers, cross functional stakeholders, & executives
- A track record of designing, building, & evolving software systems at scale
- Passion for improving developer velocity
- A track record of mentorship & growing other engineers
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Kubernetes (k8s)
- Geospatial libraries (GDAL, OGR, etc.)
- Postgres / PostGIS
- API Design
- Oncall experience
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Be part of a vibrant international company of 45+ nationalities with office locations in different countries
- Sense of belonging in a diverse & inclusive culture
- Experience a fast-paced spacetech environment
- Countless opportunities to connect within & outside of work with regular team events
- Personal development with annual L&D budget
- Join our regular hack-weeks & meetup events to exchange knowledge
- Employee Resource Groups & the opportunity to be part of a community
- Give back to the community by using one day per quarter for charitable work as part of our 1% Pledge
- Flexible working hours to support work life balance
- Be part of our growth: we offer equity options for our employees
- Daily virtual mindful bodywork sessions to stay healthy
- We offer equipment & wellbeing support during these challenging times
- Contributions to Company Pension scheme
- Enjoy unique offers & discounts for companies/web shops
- Additional Company Holidays
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.