Common is the nations leading residential brand offering convenience & community through coliving & traditional apartments. Our signature tech-enabled property management allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across our growing portfolio of homes. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free & all-inclusive living environment, & for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate homes across the United States & receive over 15,000 new member applications per month.
Its an exciting time to be part of Commons team. We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, & so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, & embrace a whatever it takes mentality to ensure our work is done & done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology & real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the worlds rental housing crisis.
Common was founded by Brad Hargreaves & has raised $65MM in venture funding. Brad is a visionary leader with vast experience in the technology & service space, previously founding the education company General Assembly.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, & learn about what its like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, & Twitter. To see more open roles & hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
An excellent maintenance superintendent must be reliable & have a great eye for detail. They must have technical skills & knowledge of various crafts such as carpentry, plumbing, etc. Leadership & knowledge of administrative tasks such as scheduling, job costing, & using property management software are essential as you will routinely be managing employees, mapping their work & supervising. This position performs technical & mechanical work that ensures the physical aspects of the buildings, grounds, amenities & common areas of the property meet the standards for cleanliness, appearance, safety, & overall functionality.
- Develop & implement standards for the cleanliness & overall appearance of the property
- Schedule & oversee tradesman work. Follow up with tradesman to ensure projects are completed to our standards, & the building was left in a good state for our residents
- Inspect facilities periodically to determine problems & necessary maintenance to building systems (heating, ventilation, etc.)
- Prepare weekly maintenance schedules, delegate, & complete resident work orders in a timely manner
- Hire, supervise, & train maintenance technicians
- Good physical condition & strength with a willingness to work overtime
- Assist with developing the budget for property specific repair, maintenance, & capital expense & ensure compliance
- Prepare apartments for new move-ins & complete make-ready process of vacant apartments
- Monitor inventory of materials & equipment
- Other ad-hoc responsibilities & projects from time to time, based on business needs
- Participate in the coordination & management of CapEx projects (e.g. renovations).
- Ensure adherence to quality standards & health & safety regulations
- Ability to be on-call during off-hours
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends & holidays
- Proven experience as a maintenance supervisor or similar role
- In-depth knowledge of building systems (HVAC, Electrical & Plumbing). You won't be required to fix every problem but a strong candidate will know how to diagnose problems & determine who is the appropriate person to call for maintenance.
- Knowledgeable & skilled in the safe use & maintenance of hand tools, power tools, & mechanical equipment.
- Comfortable with technology
- High level of professionalism.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Fair Housing rules & regulations.
- Knowledge of health & safety practices & regulations
- Understanding of budgeting & performance management
- Excellent planning & leadership abilities
- High school diploma; Degree from a vocational school will be a plus
- Professional Certifications (e.g. CMRP, EPA/Universal, HVAC certified, etc.) are preferred
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees & wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy & professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable & valuable health & wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation & sick time
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, & ordinances.