Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data & technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work makes a real impact. Were the most-visited car-shopping site in the US & we are growing fast in our international markets. Ready to come along for the ride?
CarGurus is seeking an experienced Creative Director with a proven track record of bringing consumer brands to life. Reporting to the VP of Brand, you will build & mentor a small in-house team, augmenting our in-house talent with a network of freelancers & smaller agencies to deliver a variety of creative assets that supports all our Marketing efforts. As part of the overall brand team, you will serve as an evangelist for our brand identity & voice, ensuring that creative across our company works to represent our brand in a unified & effective way.
What You'll Do:
- Serve as the creative leader for CarGurus, refining our brand & bringing it to life through a broad range of touchpoints to build awareness, engagement & preference for CarGurus.
- Partner with the Brand strategy team & our brand agency to provide input to their work, ensuring that their results meet the creative team needs for future iterations & applications.
- Work with the broader marketing team to extend agency-led campaigns into a portfolio of media assets
- Build & develop an impactful in-house creative team while using a curated network of external partners to complete projects as needed
- Provide leadership for the ongoing interpretation & evolution of our brand standards in support of new applications across the business
- Concept & direct multimedia work including performance creatives, email templates, banner ads, digital videos, offline collateral, content marketing design assets & social media posts
- Continually update best practices for CarGurus to drive response & action from our creative efforts; incorporate up-to-date research & third party expertise (e.g. Google, Facebook, Media agency guidelines) to inform all our efforts.
- Partner with UX design to evolve overall site branding & where visual design/messaging support is required to build/evolve specific elements of our site experience
- Ensure that creative projects are prioritized appropriately & delivered on time, on strategy & on budget
- Build out a team with a reputation for delivering on commitments, & for being a great team to work on & with.
Who You Are:
- 10+ years in a creative role, with 5+ years of experience managing design & copy professionals. Visual design roots & some video production experience preferred.
- Highly collaborative, you like to partner with & support the needs of a range of internal partners
- Experience mentoring a high-performance team. People leader who can identify, recruit & develop great talent to create premier work.
- Love of design; you stay current & ahead of the latest design trends & digital advancements
- Experience with & appreciation for rigorously testing & optimizing creative to deliver performance
- Highly organized, with experience setting up internal process to receive, prioritize, & deliver on creative requests.
- Fast paced, results-oriented & able to prioritize opposing demands for multiple internal partners
- Low-ego & willing to roll up sleeves, but skilled at delegating & coaching to manage team output.
- Able to inspire great work from your team, whether designing a marketing campaign or a PowerPoint template
- Previous in-house tech/start up experience preferred
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women & other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat & see if you could be a great fit.
At CarGurus, we invest in our peoples professional growth with everything from learning & development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks & benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, & more. That includes equity in the companyour way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the worlds most trusted & transparent automotive marketplace, but trust & transparency dont just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves & their potentialwhere you dont just fit, you thrive. We dont discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
We recognize that flexibility plays a critical role in enabling our people to thrive in both their personal & professional lives. We currently welcome Gurus into our Cambridge, MA office on a voluntary basis but do not require employees to physically be in the office. We will adopt a hybrid working model when health experts & government officials in our local communities deem it safe to do so. Specific arrangements within this model will be up to team leaders discretion; we encourage you to discuss your questions & needs during the interview process.
All US CarGurus employees are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. This helps us to safeguard the health of our employees & their families, our customers & visitors, & the community at large.