Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education & employment. Almost a decade later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 100+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. Weve raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, & more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year & helps them lead better lives, join us!
The Codecademy team is looking for a Sr. Manager of SEO to join our rapidly growing, fun & effective Marketing team. As the leader of SEO, you will be responsible for maximizing search engine traffic to fuel our Brand & Business, across our desktop/mobile website, & our mobile app. The role is responsible for supporting our Direct to Consumer and our Business to Business (B2B) product lines.
As the leader of an important function, you will translate business goals into successful SEO strategies & tactical plans that improve SEOs contribution, while developing relationships & effective processes with external partners & key stakeholders across the company to support & scale your work.
In this role you will collaborate with many internal teams, including Product Management, Engineering, Marketing & Data Science. You will communicate SEO concepts, results & insights, as well as key actions & milestones to stakeholders across the company, including the executive team. This role is responsible for SEO across the organization & reports to The Vice President of Marketing.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Develop a well-informed strategy for SEO growth, through both technical content, while providing thought leadership, strategic insight, & concise communication across the company
- Translate data into actionable insights to inform annual & quarterly plans aligned to our overarching marketing & product roadmaps
- Educate & inform partners on site page design & best practices, SEO trends, competitive trends & adjustments to ranking factors
- Provide Content teams with keyword, copy, & layout recommendations
- Provide regular reporting against forecasted targets, key milestones, & SEO industry trends; including specific information needed by key stakeholders such as content marketing & product
- Conduct & communicate ongoing SERP analysis for competitive & prioritized terms
- Proactive, ongoing Technical optimization including:
- URL structures, title & description best practices, internal linking, meta tagging, & copy
- Proactive, ongoing Content optimization including:
- Inbound linking strategies, keyword-content mapping, page title & description edits
- Recommend & assist in the implementation of experiments & tests to vet optimization changes & their impact
- React to crawl algo changes, site errors, sitemap updates, site speed challenges, & other issues that affect results
- App Store Optimization for Codecademy Go mobile app
- Ensure the right mix of SEO content optimization tools & analytics (currently SEO Radar, SEMrush, GA 360 & Google Search Console)
- Implement frequent site crawls & health checks
- Provide recommendations for Paid Search (SEM) based on SEO keyword research & analysis
WHAT YOULL NEED:
- 7+ years SEO experience
- Track record of successfully implementing SEO strategies, increased traffic & revenue
- Considerable expertise in core SEO concepts (keyword research, user intent, crawlability, mobile-friendly, page speed, etc.)
- Strong technical & content SEO skills including: content structure & optimization, keyword/content mapping, XML Sitemaps, meta data, etc
- Experience with SEO experiments & testing
- Deep knowledge of search engine algorithms & ranking factors
- Experience with SEO tools such as Google Search Console, Google Analytics, SEMrush, MOZ, BrightEdge, ScreamingFrog, Botify, Etc.
- Ability to interpret data & make clear, concise recommendations, across all levels of the organization
- Excellent collaboration skills to work successfully with myriad stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills to share the work & evangelize SEO
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT:
- U.S. & International SEO experience
- B2C and B2B marketing experience
- Query language (SQL) familiarity for data extraction, transformation, & analysis
- Experience in growth stage technology and/or education category
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product & in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- & works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds & beliefs are empowered to better their futures.