Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands & grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, & analytics tools.
We are seeking an engineer to help us build & support the services that send over a billion emails per day & that millions of small businesses rely on. Youll collaborate closely with engineers across the company to ensure our products are performant & reliable. You should be comfortable with distributed teams (as youll work with many folks in other locations), & also excited about building a strong, inclusive environment for everyone who joins after you.
Our ideal candidate is comfortable picking up new technologies & switching technical contexts. You value pragmatism over novelty in tooling, architecture, & language selection. You have a working knowledge of how different design patterns can influence the reliability of an application, & how different pieces of infrastructure can interact. Youre constantly working to reduce toil & implement automation & are passionate about improving the users experience. You've broken production environmentsthen fixed them & learned from the experience in a post-incident review. You provide mentorship for fellow team members & share your expertise through code reviews, office hours, Tech Talks, & other avenues.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have experience defining technical projects, prioritizing work, identifying dependencies, developing new features, & facilitating technical & cross-functional team discussions.
- You have experience mentoring, teaching, & creating an inclusive environment for teams.
- You are comfortable working in complex production environments & seek out ways to drive ambiguity down. You seek to understand before making changes, & actively work to facilitate communication to better understand other approaches to problem solving.
- You have experience writing well-tested, observable, maintainable code in one or more programming languages. We primarily use PHP, Python, & Golang, but prior experience with these languages is not a requirement.
- You are able to make data-driven decisions & have developed an intuition for acceptable performance & reliability benchmarks. You have experience transforming metrics & raw data into dashboards & actionable alerts using tools like Grafana, Prometheus, & Kibana.
- Youre familiar with the goal of configuration management & have used tools like Puppet or Terraform to automate the delivery & operation of infrastructure.
- You have experience defining Service Level Indicators (SLIs) & Service Level Objectives (SLOs) to help teams balance reliability with engineering velocity.
- Youre curious & comfortable with troubleshooting production incidents & debugging across interconnected systems & layers (including network, command line, & application).
- You are comfortable implementing creative solutions to resolve complex technical issues that other engineers encounter during their oncall rotations.
- You are able to participate in an on-call rotation requiring availability outside of business hours.
- You embrace & demonstrate our core values of humility, creativity, & independence.
Mailchimp is a founder-owned & highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, & our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees & their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, & ambitious people, & give them endless opportunities to grow & succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious how hiring has shifted at Mailchimp due to Covid-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, & we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.