SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MECHANICAL ENGINEER, SOLAR ARRAY
SpaceX is seeking an engineer to assist in the design, development, test & manufacturing of cutting edge solar arrays for satellites.
- Design of various satellite mechanical systems and/or associated tooling, specifically for the solar array sub-assembly
- Development of trade studies to identify optimal configuration of various mechanical systems or processes
- Create & maintain design models in CAD, from the concept level to detailed design
- Create manufacturing requirement documents, drawings, specifications, & instructions
- Write, design & execute test procedures & verification plans
- Design & conduct process qualifications using design of experiments & statistical process control
- Prepare detailed content for technical design reviews
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical, aerospace or manufacturing engineering
- 3+ years of design experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in specifying & qualifying materials & components for space flight
- Experience with design of experiments, statistical process control & process qualification
- Proficient in 3D CAD (NX preferred)
- Proficient in stress, dynamic & thermal analysis
- Proficient in GD&T
- Familiar with a wide variety of manufacturing processes & automation for composites, soft goods & metals: welding, brazing, fastening, riveting, bonding, lamination, soldering etc.
- Experience with solar array design and/or manufacture
- This is a hands-on position that requires one to be on their feet for up to 4+ hours a day. Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor & will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, & standing
- Must be willing to work extended hours & weekends as necessary
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence & qualifications & will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceXs Affirmative Action Plan for veterans & individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.