MakeSpace is a rapidly growing tech startup based in NYC that provides a convenient way for consumers to store their things. We are reinventing the $34B storage industry by finally putting the customer first, & giving them a simple & easy way to get their things into & out of storage, without lifting a finger.
We are looking for a Controller to join the Accounting team in our NYC office.Reporting to the CFO, youll be in charge of all our accounting related functions while implementing best practices & procedures across our international operations.
What you will do:
- Oversee & ensure accurate & timely completion of all accounting outputs, including maintaining the general ledger, revenue recognition, & AR/AP
- Prepare financial statements for the board & the management teams
- Responsible for the month & year end closing, & monthly compliance reporting
- Manage & support the accounting team members
- Evaluate & recommend changes to accounting processes, systems, & general ledger reporting capabilities, including documenting & maintaining accounting procedures, in support of continuous improvement efforts
- Manage tax filings & the annual audit
- Establish internal controls & ensure compliance
- Participate in special projects to drive strategic initiatives
Who you are:
- 6+ years of relevant experience, ideally with a combination of public accounting & at least two years of in-house accounting
- Bachelors and/or Masters degree in Accounting & a CPA strongly preferred
- A roll up your sleeves, self-starter/motivator with meticulous attention to detail
- Adjust easily to change, learn quickly, & ensure things get done perfectly
- Have a curiosity in optimizing & streamlining accounting processes
- Willing & able to solve accounting problems on your own, & when unsure, quickly ask for help
- Experience preparing consolidated financial statements across multiple entities, including international
- Familiar with corporate, state, & local tax filings
What youll get:
- A competitive base salary
- Catered lunches, unlimited snacks, beer on tap, etc.
- Team happy hours, events, & social clubs
- Beautiful office in Lower Manhattan with multiple outdoor spaces
- Free MakeSpace storage
- Opportunity to take on growing levels of responsibility & make a real impact
We are an equal opportunity employer & value a diversity of perspectives & backgrounds at our company. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis including race, color, age, sex, religion, disability, or national origin.