Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, & operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, & humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company & data company all rolled into one.
Customers & users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, & solve our worlds toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, & software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture & community & we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first & prepares our company for growth. Join Planet & be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As the Lead Manufacturing Engineer, you will be responsible for developing, leading & executing our assembly, integration & test processes for our next generation of satellites.. You will apply your manufacturing engineering skills to establish the overall process & develop & implement the procedures & work instructions for assembling & testing subassemblies, modules & complete spacecraft. You will manage the manufacturing personnel, & work closely with design engineers, test engineers, engineering program management, & supply chain teams to execute & deliver spacecraft.
Impact Youll Own:
- Manage the manufacturing engineering & technician staff
- Develop assembly, integration & test processes for PCBAs, subassemblies & full spacecraft
- Develop mechanical & electrical equipment & fixtures to aid with assembly, integration & testing
- Develop assembly procedures & work instructions
- Oversee facilities & capital equipment development for scaling our manufacturing processes to meet our production demand
- Develop production schedules in tight collaboration with Supply Chain
- Responsible for daily task planning & execution to ensure on-time assembly, testing & delivery of fully functioning satellites
- Drive non-conformances to resolution & establish actionable process improvements
- Collaborate with design engineering to continuously improve Spacecraft Design for Manufacturability
- Transform the manufacturing line from R&D to production by developing processes to go from prototype to flight builds
What You Bring:
- Proven history of managing complex, interdisciplinary manufacturing processes
- 5+ years of manufacturing development experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- Very strong SolidWorks skills to develop tooling & fixturing to interface with spacecraft, & to extract useful views for use in work instructions
- Expertise with inventory management processes
- Expertise with building clear & effective schedules for production planning
- Organized approach to project management & task planning & tracking
- Hands-on experience with hardware assembly, integration, & test
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Ability to learn new engineering concepts quickly
- Demonstrated ability to implement continuous improvement processes
- Desire to lead others & coach them to their fullest potential
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program & onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning & Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites & Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
Were dedicated to helping the whole Planet, & to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices & on all of our teams. Thats why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity & inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but youre thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We dont just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill peoples careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope youre excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs & we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, & committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth & breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, & local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community & we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential & we will be happy to assist you.